THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Why are .410’s full choke, .410 lever action questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why are .410’s full choke, .410 lever action questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know why most .410’s are full choke?

It seems to me a full choked .410 is a niche gun. I have a Marlin single shot and a Stevens .410 and they both seem to pattern real tight. I took a couple (still) rabbits at 12-15 yards and with a headshot, no pellets landed anywhere in the body.

My dad and grandpa used .410’s for varmints around the farm and for squirrel hunting – but with a full choke, are there other useful purposes? It seems to me such a small load would be better with a modified or even improved choke.

Also, anyone have anyone have any experience with the Marlin or Winchester .410 lever actions? The Marlin looks neat, but with a Cylinder bore, isn’t that TOO open? Are the Winchesters made in America?

For a lot of what I do – small game and “yard†varmint control, the .410 is a great choice, but it seems like it could be better.

Thoughts?

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I don't know why American makers are so stuck on full choke for the 410. My little Huglu side by side is imp cyl and modified and it does just fine. Regardless, I would think that both the Marlin and Winchester would have enough wall thickness at the muzzle to thread for tubes if you wanted them.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a "9410" Short model. LNIB Hate it!

Does not feed ammo worth a damn!

Great looking little gun, but needs some serious work!

Does have screw-in chokew tubes and is made in the USA.

My recommendation, buy one used and ask to shoot it before you hand over the $$.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff
Where are you located? If close, maybe you'd like to sell?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in Texas.

Glad to sell...(432)-943-4888

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
As to the "choke" of .410's, there's very little difference in a "full" and a skeet choke in this bore. The theory is that you need a "tight" choke to make the small shot charge effective. Even so, many .410's, like other gauges, may be overchoked. An unchoked (cylinder) barrel would be pretty miserable in a .410 beyond about 40 feet.

In regard to the Model 9410, someone on this forum once asked if it would be good for Cowboy Shooting. In my experience, if shot with less than a 20 gauge, cowboys may go down, but tend to get back up and have to be shot again. Wink

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The full choke in a .410 is 0.18 and skeet is .005 and Briley's lite skeet is .003. A 12 gauge is .035 for full and still 0..5 for skeet. I have never shot a lite skeet but it is tough enough shooting skeet with the skeet choke.

As to why they are full choked, I don't know. They are certainly not beginner guns but how many of us were started off on them. I think that almost any choke in a .410 is better than full.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've got a 9410 Ranger. Winchester calls it an improved cylinder choke. If nicely fills out a 23" circle at 25 yards-good and dense with #8 shot. I've had no problems of any kind with the gun, it feeds & ejects well, and has no excessive sideways "play" in the lever. I've more than happy with it.

Posts: 4 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote