Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester mod 12
 Login/Join

<J.G>
posted
Hello,
I was resently offered a Winchester model 12 Trap slide action shotgun (30" Full choke) in excellent condition and could not resist. It is not a common shotgun here, so I would like to learn a bit more about it.
What�s it�s reputation in the U.S? Are there any common problems with it? Are there any aftermarket products to upgrade it with?
Anything else I should know?
thanks// J.G

one of us
posted Hide Post
You have one of the best pumps made. I wouldn't shot steel in it. Other then that it should last many 10000's of rounds. I have been shooting one for over 30 years. They are very good.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
I've been shooting model 12's for 42 years. My old gun was made in 1917 and still shoots like a dream. Years ago somebody put on a Poly Choke and it didn't seem to affect it's performance. I hoped you bought the gun or at least got a chance to shoot it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the M12. It is the greatest pump gun ever made.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
At 53 years of age, I am the third generation to hunt with my 16ga model 12. My grandfather purchased it new. Bob

<Jayboid>
posted
I may be wrong on some of this, but my family has been Mod. 12 fans for generations. I believe the Win Mod. 12, was designed by John Browning. I�ve been told the hardened nickel steel which these shotguns were made from made it impossible to match in manufacturing during the 1960s or so. Winchester tried to continue building them without this process, and met universal bad reviews. The model replacing it was called the 1200??? I was young in the 1960s, but don�t remember seeing a new one at a gun store. I believe they went to all the 20th Century Wars the U.S. fought.

I have shot Mod. 12s from very fancy trap grades (which many had the ventilated, and raised rib versions custom ordered, and done by a gunshop right here in Kansas, to the rather playne jayne corn cob model that is very unassuming looking. One thing for sure, I can�t remember ever having a jam problem or for that matter ever hearing of one of ours taken to the shop. Only problem I�ve heard of with this gun is the breakdown option can wear parts out on these now older guns.

The advice on shooting lead only through these fine shotguns is excellent. Without a doubt, if we didn�t have steel only, I would still be using one for ducks and geese. Many deer have been taken using slugs with these guns too. The safety and slide release is still one of the best ever designed in my humble opinion.

There is a website which will give you date of manufacture using the serial number, or contact Winchester.

Scott