New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Porting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just aquired a Browning BPS 10 ga, I could not pass up the deal, 26" 1 yr old in mint cond. with MOBU for $300.00. I have several 3 1/2 12`s but always wanted a 10 just to say I`ve had one, I guess. I took the shortened pull stock off my 3 1/2" 12 BPS and it fit! So I don`t have to alter another stock, here is the question, with the extra weight of this gun the turkey loads I will be shooting off a bench will kick much less, and was wanting to even further the reduction of recoil with barrel porting, have any of you used Magnaport? Also Seminole gun works offer porting but did not list 10 ga barrels as an option. Will someone recommend a gunsmith that they have used that they would recommend. Thanks a bunch, Tim.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tim i had a benneli slug ported once and have shot a super black eagle that has been ported all
by mag na port. there,s not much of a reduction in recoil at shotgun speed. but it helps with muzzle flip for that second shot. i also have a ported turkey and duck choke for another benneli
i own and about the same results as mag na - ported, but it is a much less expensive way to find out. especially turkey hunting as you will probably want an aftermarket choke. check out briley.
good luck

Posts: 66 | Location: garner n.c. usa | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim in TN,
Save your money. Contrary to what they would have you believe, porting does nothing to abate recoil. To a small extent, it will reduce muzzle flip/jump, making it easier to get off the secomd shot. Maybe!

I shoot both ported and unported guns on a regular basis, and would never purposely have one ported again.

There is an especially unwanted drawback to it and that is accelerated muzzle blast. This would render the shooter unwanted in a duck blind. Other shooters would not appreciate you at all when you you touched that thing off.

To my knowledge the two best things a ported barrel will do is piss off all shooters within 10 yards of you, and make the barrels harder to clean.

Save your money. You will be glad you did.

Regards DLM

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the knowledgeable replys, I think the extra weight alone will suffice, those 870`s with the 1300 fps 2 oz. turkey loads get tiresome. I might even add a 2 1/2x scope.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If combustion of the gas is complete ( that is target loads) there will be no benefit. But Browning sure sold many ported O/Us to those who didn't know. Hunting loads are different , it will help some . The negatives are of course redirecting muzzle blast to the side and muzzle flash. I remember a cop who was very happy with his ported 357 until he shot it in reduced light, he sold it immediately.