Find
Notify
Tools

Super Black eagle ii
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Are these worth purchasing since the newer models are now available? Any opinions or thoughts on these? $1,200 fair for like new? Camo, 12ga/3.5"/28"/case/5 chokes.

I have a Browning Silver Hunter 3.5"/12ga but have been told that the Benelli is a better gun? I have had zero issues with the Browning.

I need to quit going to gun stores. But have to hold everything that is left handed.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you on the price but I can tell you I've owned an SBE II, Browning Gold, SX3 and now a Maxus all in 3.5 inch.

My SBE II worked flawlessly and was dead simple to clean and maintain. My problem with it was recoil. I would end up with a headache after a day of duck hunting with 3 inch #2s. At first I thought it was dehydration but subsequent trips proved it to be recoil. I shot 3.5s out of the SBE II sparingly for geese before I discovered my problem.

If you want an inertia shotgun and recoil is not a problem then the SBE II is a great shotgun. If not for the headaches, I'd still own one. The Browning Maxus cured my headaches as did the Gold and SX3.

Other companies also make an inertia 12 gauge if they interest you. I haven't looked but you may be able to find a good deal on NIB SBE II since they are being replaced by the SBE III.

Posts: 448 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think $1200 is a bit high for a SBE. That being said, they are great semi autos. They field strip in about 1 minute. I have used one since they first hit the market.
Almost exclusively in Salt Marsh environment. If it gets wet, hose it down, then spray with brake parts cleaner or Gun Scrubber. Lube with Remoil or other good synthetic.
Stand it in the corner muscle down and let it drain. If kept cleaned and lubed they are very reliable. They shoot best with the action well oiled.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the responses. I've never owned or shot an inertia driven shotgun. I do very little bird hunting, but would use the shotgun for varmint/predator calling more than likely.

Would $1,000 out the door (no tax) be more in the correct price range?

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$1,200 was dealer cost in 2016 for a SBE II Camo. Benelli loaded up their dealers late in 2016 without mentioning they were introducing the SBE III. Now dealers are hung with them. If I were taking a used excellent SBE II in trade with all accessories I'd offer $800-$900.

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the response Bobster! This is great info for me. I am going to offer them an amount each week until I get bored or they cave in and accept it.

It's a pawn shop, Doubt they gave even $800. I would think they gave closer to $400-$500. They have had it in their inventory since last July and with it being a Lefty I doubt there has been much interest in it.

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
I have had zero issues with mine. Lawdog has it right on the cleaning procedure. I do about the same with good results. I do not think they changed a lot from II to III other than aesthetics. I could be wrong.

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
I can't help you on the price but I can tell you I've owned an SBE II, Browning Gold, SX3 and now a Maxus all in 3.5 inch.

My SBE II worked flawlessly and was dead simple to clean and maintain. My problem with it was recoil. I would end up with a headache after a day of duck hunting with 3 inch #2s. At first I thought it was dehydration but subsequent trips proved it to be recoil. I shot 3.5s out of the SBE II sparingly for geese before I discovered my problem.

If you want an inertia shotgun and recoil is not a problem then the SBE II is a great shotgun. If not for the headaches, I'd still own one. The Browning Maxus cured my headaches as did the Gold and SX3.

Other companies also make an inertia 12 gauge if they interest you. I haven't looked but you may be able to find a good deal on NIB SBE II since they are being replaced by the SBE III.

I love my SX3. Feeds everything flawlessly.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Haven't gone there and offered anything yet. Been messing around with my CZ452 Smiler

...the things you get talked into on here Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great gun. In this case too high for a LH IMO.

If you're happy with your Browning, I'd keep the money for something you want/need more.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
Thank you for the response Bobster! This is great info for me. I am going to offer them an amount each week until I get bored or they cave in and accept it.

It's a pawn shop, Doubt they gave even $800. I would think they gave closer to $400-$500. They have had it in their inventory since last July and with it being a Lefty I doubt there has been much interest in it.

If it is a pawn shop I doubt they loaned $200 on it.

Posts: 3685 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote