New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Slug Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of booking a deer hunt for next year in a shotgun only area. I have over and under and side by side guns that are not suitable for slugs. I need an accurate slug gun capable of reaching two hundred yards. I'm considering a TC Pro Hunter but don't know much about other possibilities. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having lived most of my life in a shotgun only state I have done a lot of experimenting with slug guns. For what might be a single hunt i would buy a Mossberg 500 slug gun. One that has the cantilever scope mount. About 5 year ago i had a Mossberg and two Browning A-bolt slug guns. All three shot extremely well with the Federal 3" sabot. Stay away from the extremely high velocity slugs as accuracy isn't that great and recoil is right up there with a .458 mag. I was getting 1 1/2- 2" groups with the Brownings and about 1/2" more with the Mossberg. Killed deer at 165yds. and 167yds. with the Mossberg. Neither one went more than 10 yds. after being lung shot. Most of the rest were shot at closer ranges.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS. I still have that mossberg bbl. If you could pick up a used gun i would sell the bbl. at a reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulbwerks
posted Hide Post
My family and I hunt in a slug zone in WI and we all se the Federal Barnes expander 3/4 oz 2 3/4 inch 12 ga. load. This load shoots 1" to 1.5" at 100yds out of My A-Bolt slug gun, my brothers BPS and my father's Gold Hunter. All guns are fully rifled and are dedicated slug guns only, no barrel swapping. My advice is to get a BPS with a fully rifled barrel and put a good scope on it. You can't go wrong, they put a rifle type stock on it that doesn't smack like a shotgun stock.
Ben
p.s.I also have a Super Black Eagle SLug gun with bird barrel if you would be interested in that in the classified section

Posts: 147 | Location: WI | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From personal experience I can recommend either a Rem.870 (Wingmaster, because barrels can be interchanged) or a Rem.11-87. In both cases I did NOT use a Rem. rifled slug barrel (which I considered too short) I used a Hudson rifled slug barrel with scope mount. Hope they are stiil in business because their 24" barrel was tops for me and grouped at 75 yards like a rifle.(My shooting conditions didn't require any 100 yard shots so I can't tell you my experience at longer ranges) BTW, I'm retired from hunting so I'm not up on latest developments in rifled slugs but I do question whether any rifled slug or barrel (for accuracy) would be good enough in killing power and accuracy to drop a white tail at 200 yards with any kind of certainty. (Just my thoughts and not looking for an argument)

Posts: 46 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 210F holds the most potential for a dedicated slug gun. You can build it into an awesome setup way cheaper than buying a TarHunt.

As for pump guns I would use the Rem 870. You can have TarHunt convert it or have a gunsmith pin an aftermarket barrel to the receiver then drill and tap the receiver for mounts. There are also good trigger kits for the 870 as well as lots of stock offerings.

one of us
posted Hide Post
H&R New England Firearms Ultra Slug Hunter. Either 12 or 20 gauge. I have a 12. It will run you about $300. Make sure you use a good scope with strong mounts. They are super accurate with that heavy barrel. Mine will cloverleaf 3 shots at 100 yards with Remington Copper Solids.

Then spend your money on ammo and practice with the best load you can find if you really want to shoot 200 yards. It's possible but not as easy to do as with a rifle.

Posts: 164 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 04 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Acrnstlkr
posted Hide Post
A browning A-5 with a hastings rifled barrel. i have used since i was about 16. it has little recoil and is a tack driver out to about 150 yards. i use brenekki black magic slugs. also i like open sights, easier to shoot in the woods and when there on the move. A little hard to find any more and somewhat pricy but i love mine! worth the look.

Freedom is not Free! So thank your Military!

Posts: 41 | Location: Chester IA. | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC 12ga prohunter, stainless, 28" firled barrel.Good gun.
Real strong design. I have one 12ga Prohunter to
sell,like new. Used it to test our heavier loads in
the research for the 12GA From Hell Project,
to compare it with the NEF and other guns.Loads are
all tested and f you reload I have info also on a
whole variety of slugs. Will take 600. cost 756.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
I personally hunt with a Browning A-bolt that I dearly love. It is fully rifled and wears a 3-9x40 scope. I have personally taken a deer at 165 yards with it and that buck did not take another step.
If you have about $2,000 you can get a gun like that after looking for a while. They are getting tough to find but are worth it.

If you are on a budget, I second the New England/H&R Slug guns. They are 12 gauge built on a 10 gauge frame or 20 gauge built on a 12 gauge frame with heavy fully rifled bull barrels. They even make a thumbhole gun now that handles pretty good. Put some decent glass on it and shoot premium sabots and you will be set.

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote