Find
Notify
Tools

Best Shotshell Press
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
I have the old Hornady 366 Auto shotshell press.

I think it used to be made by Pacific(a) as well.

-

I'm getting a little tired of having to make minor adjustments all the time AND having to clean out spilled shot from under the plate.

In your opinion, what is the best type/brand of high capacity shotshell press to buy?

Thanks,

Kenati

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mec 9000G with close to 10,000 rounds thru it so far, without a hiccup. I've used only Winchester AA hulls, and only had to tweak the crimper when I first got it. Haven't touched a thing since.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have three of the Mec 9000G's and have had no problems. I did have to replace the cylinder on the 410 but that was no big deal.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
You can't argue with those results!

Sounds good fellas. I ONLY use AA's. Easiest to work with.

I LOVE Winchester Super Field (WSF) powder. When we dove hunt, my dad and brother say they can hear a big difference in the report of my shotgun compared to those using factory ammo. But, but I'm a weight just below max. No problems... at least for me, the birds would disagree [Big Grin]

Has anyone used Dillon's super fancy press:

-

It looks like a Cadillac.

But who knows?

[ 08-05-2002, 00:56: Message edited by: Kenati ]

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
Kenati,

Go to a busy trap & skeet range and talk to avid shooter who reload. These guy can easily load 10-50,000 or more rounds a year. You will find that most of them use a PW or Spoler. Those who don't are looking to trade up when they can afford it. MEC's and Dillons turn out a good shell, but most owners are always having some little problem. RCBS's new Grand looks like it will be a dynamite press, at a very reasonable price, as soon as they get the bugs ironed out.

Few, if any, who have had experience, will argue that Spoler is not the best press in today's market. PW is a very close second. PW does have the advantage of being able to handle 3" shells. Spoler, so far, is strictly a 2-3/4" game. Hopefully, this will change. Do-it-yourselfers have successfully modified the Spoler to handle 3" shells.

PW's and Spolers are expensive. You must calculate how mush ammo you shoot and, based on that, how long it will take you to break even on the press. There is absolutely no substitute for quality. If you're strapped, you would still be wise to go for the best quality you can afford. Do not overlook the possibility of a quality used press.

If you are only in need of a 1000 or so round a year for hunting, consider the single stage PW 375. Not fast, but fool proof, and perfect rounds.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the money, MEC is hard to beat. I have had problems with the indexing mechanism on the 9000g.....ended up disconnecting it and manually indexing. Find it easier this way. However, I am looking at the new RCBS......would consider that machine if it proves to be a quantum improvement. No question a Spolar is a rolls royce.....but the cost is way to high for shotshell reloading which....at best, is a marginal cost saving activity given the low cost of promotional shells on the market today.

Posts: 89 | Location: New Canaan,Ct., U.S. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote