New
Find
Notify
Tools

porting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i,am trying to lesson recoil on a 835 moss, the best value is to send barrel to mossburg ,don,t no how effected it is ,are their better porting jobs out their ,who, thanks for help,bucster

Posts: 29 | Location: mt vernon ohio | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum. Porting does two things, reduces recoil, and reduces muzzle flip. The reduction in recoil however only works with full [not target] loads.But even with just muzzle flip reduced it can be more comfortable to shoot. Sending it to Mossburg would prbably be the best way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recoil reduction is limited when porting shotguns. In rifles that are ported, you are dealing with pressures in the 50,000 to 60,000 psi range =/-. And the ports generally go all the way around the barrel.

In shotguns, the pressures are often around 1200 with maximums around 1300 and the porting is often only on the upper quadrants, left and right of the muzzle and are intended to reduce muzzle lift. There is little difference between target load reduction and full loads and target as the full loads have very similar pressures, although they do often have larger shot charges. The equal and opposite reaction to the weight of the "ejecta" can not be reduced but it can be delayed. Only the jet effect from the escaping gases can be reduced by porting. If you want to delay and thereby soften the recoil you can do it by some of the air shock stocks or those employing spring systems. The recoil is still there but spread over a longer time.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a waste of money except on a trap, skeet or clays gun. I'd just fill the hole in the butt of the stock full of lead. I have shot a lot of ported shotguns in my competitive trapshooting days, and the advantage is the reduced muzzle jump, as you can get a better picture of where the muzzle is in relation to where the target is . In other words it will allow you to see that you broke the front, back or top of a target and adjust before actually missing one and wondering what happened. I still have a ported 1100 trap that you can shoot one handed as fast as you can pull the trigger, almost no muzzle jump.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will do more to soften the recoil in a shotgun while improving it's performance, by lengthening the forcing cone than by drilling holes in the barrels. 2 really great things happen when you lengthen the forcing cone on a shotgun. 1) You reduce the distortion that the cup and shot experience when making the abrupt change from chamber to bore, reulting in a more evenly distributed shot pattern and less holes for the birds to fly through, and 2) Because the transition from the chamber to the bore is longer, smoother and less abrupt, you reduce the pressure needed to push the shot column into the bore. Less pressure = less recoil. That said, porting does reduce muzzle flip.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This old shotgunner (retired) has nothing to add to the subject of porting. I just want to once more express my awe and amazement at the wealth of knowledge and real expertise I find on this website almost every time I visit (and I do almost daily) Thanks for educating an old user of shotguns on a subject that always had been a little hazy in my mind. (Sure, I knew the term and even knew what the ported barrel looked like -but nothing more)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help i,ve ordered 2 merc reducers and a softer recoil pad i,ll try thoes mods to see what they do and see a smith about getting cones worked on...bucster

Posts: 29 | Location: mt vernon ohio | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote