New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger red label
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hello, I am considering purchasing a ruger red label soon. It just occured to me that the newer shotguns might have that "lawyer label" on the barrels that I loath on my ruger rifles and handguns. Is this true? The gun I am thinking of getting is a 12ga. straight grip w/ 26" barrels. I have never shot a shotgun with a straight grip, I have shot a ruger o/u long ago. What are your observations about this style of grip? thanks
Ian

one of us
posted Hide Post
what is the "lawyer label"

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I never did like the English style straight grip. It originally served a purpose, I think nowadays it's still offered more as tradition than anything else. I don't like the looks of it, especially on a modern shotgun, and I don't like the feel of it. To each their own I guess, but I'd suggest you try to borrow one and shoot it, if you haven't shot an English grip before. If you have, then you can make your choice based on what you like.

I've passed up some good deals on some nice shotguns, based solely on them having a straight grip.

Other than that detail, I think you'll be real happy with a Red Label.

[ 11-05-2002, 01:34: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of a straight grip is twofold: first, assuming you also have a splinter forend, it serves to keep the hands in line. This facilitates the natural pointing that is part of good wingshooting form. Second, it forces the forward hand to become relatively more dominant, while also causing the trigger hand to more definitely bring the buttstock to the cheek. This, too, aids proper wingshooting technique.

For further reading I'd suggest Bruce Bowlin's "The Orvis Wing-Shooting Handbook", Don Zutz' "The Double Shotgun", and, of course, Robert Churchill's "Game Shooting".

Proper use of two triggers does not involve sliding the hand.

As much as many shooters prefer straight grips on hunting guns these are almost never found on guns designed for target games where pre-mounting (or close to pre-mounting) is the method used by those who are competitive. This is no accident.

I shoot guns with straight and pistol grips, (with any trigger combination) and find that I shoot them all equally well in the field. I'd suggest a comparison with a pistol-gripped red label. Buy whichever one feels and shoots best for you.

Finally, this is subjective, but straight grips have it all over pistol grip versions insofar as aesthetics is concerned, IMHO.

Good luck,

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samuel_Hoggson:
Finally, this is subjective, but straight grips have it all over pistol grip versions insofar as aesthetics is concerned, IMHO.

Sam-

Exactly why I said try them both. You sound very informed on shotgunning, but I think you have poor taste! [Wink]

(No harm meant, just making the point that something like this is truly in the eye of the beholder [Smile] )

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough....'course I always considered a cheeseburger to be gourmet food. And the vast majority of birds I'll ever shoot were done in with a Mossberg. [Eek!] - over disobedient labs [Eek!]

BTW, thanks for the compliment - not sure it's deserved.

No offense taken. [Smile]

Sam

[ 11-05-2002, 23:43: Message edited by: Samuel_Hoggson ]

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Own 3 Red Labels. Two are 12ga and one is the 28ga. In 12ga one has the english stock and I like to shoot this one over the regular stock. It just has a better feel. But the best thing to do is shoot one first.

Posts: 6 | Location: wi | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own the 12g straight grip 26" that you mention.

Shoots like it's a part of me, I love it (hence, the "handle" that I post by)

Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote