THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Berretta semi auto fowling problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berretta semi auto fowling problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

I have a semi auto 12G Berretta which i have put about 1500 cartridge through and it seems to have a lead or carbon deposit build up in the barrel and choke (or at least thats what it looks like to me). I have cleaned it with Butches Bore Shine over and over but i cannot seam to budge the lead or carbon fowling.

The 1500 cartridge i put through it also consisted of about 300 rounds of magtech solid slug. The barrel was also very hot as you can imagine with constant shooting. Not sure if this is relevant.

Can anyone suggest the next course of action to get rid of this fowling?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you mean fouling !! Much of the fouling with modern ammo is deposits of plastic from the shells.My Beretta o/u has a chrome plated bore which collects less fouling and is easier to clean.I clean often and use a 'tornado' brush [ Hoppe's] which work well.I think there is a cleaner designed for plastic removal but I'm not familiar with it.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Mete

Correct i must have fowling on the mind -subliminal slip of the tongue. Actually, i have just realised that it is plastic fouling more than perhaps lead etc. Plastic fouling would make more sense due to the barrel becoming very hot.

Would be interested to hear any other recommendations from other forum users.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
I use a cleaning rod that has a 12 ga. bronze brush with a wad of 0000 steel wool wrapped around it and chuck it in a cordless drill.

Soaked with solvent and a couple passes at slow speed seems to clean everything out.

If you've got choke tubes run the drill in reverse so it doesn't unscrew them and buff the barrel threads.

15 years of this on a few chrome lined Beretta barrels and I haven't seen any damage to the chrome yet.

Blasting the gas ports in the barrel with a can of brake cleaner helps too.

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I second the cordless drill, but I have just used the brass brushes with solvent.

Also, get yourself a boresnake in 12 Gauge, and run it thru every now and then during extended shooting.

Remember also to get the bleed holes with a pipe cleaner.

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Breakfree bore cleaner will easily digest wad plastic,,,Seems to lift lead out of grooves on my pistols better than any other,,,the trick is to swab it good and walk away from it for 30 minutes and let it do its thing.On plastic,it's almost immediate.Thier line of lubes are top notch as well.Watch the lettering on the lubes,they sell a clp[mil spec]sold at gun shops for 5 bucks for 4 oz.,,,industrial supply companies sell pcl for 8 bucks a pint,,,I've tried both,and can't tell the difference,,,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Let me correct myself, I'm using 0000 bronze wool, not steel wool. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are several sprays that are made especially for removing this kind of residue from shotgun barrels....check at your local shooting range or ask any serious skeet shooter you know. The one I use I let soak for about 5 minutes and then push a brush wrapped with a patch down the bore and the gunk comes our almost in one piece.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks all

I will have alook at what is available at my local gun shop.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Jon2,,Have you had any luck?

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote