THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Looking for a SXS Restock Project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a SXS Restock Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys,

This may be a strange request but I am looking for a quality SXS that needs to be restocked. I was given a piece of wood by my uncle when my son was born. I have looked at the local shows for a shotgun missing a stock or a broken stock but haven't found anything suitable yet. I have been looking for a 20 or 16 gauge in great mechanical shape but needing a restock. In a perfect world, it would be a higher end maker. I'm not sure I want to spend a couple thousand on a lower grade gun. If you have seen anything at your local shop or know of one for sale, I would be grateful.

Thanks,

ddj

Here is a picture of the wood.

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think you may be better off to buy a decent gun of your choice and sell the stocks as take off, most people are always looking for replacement stock, and if the stocks are in decent shape so should the rest of the gun, no surprises, there are a lot of Browning BSS 20 g around for 1200 to 1500 and I am sure the stocks if they are decent would fetch 250 to 300 since the gun hasn't been made in close to 30 years
here is one that has a high grade restock
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=268886044

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think you may be better off to buy a decent gun of your choice and sell the stocks as take off, most people are always looking for replacement stock

+1

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll send you a really nice Browning BSS. You can restock it with that wood and send it back to me. That would be really nice of you! Cool

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flags - I'm a nice guy but not that nice. Smiler

I do think a BSS might fit it nicely though.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And here I was just trying to be neighborly.

I had the chance to buy a Darne years ago with the sliding breech. It some bad oil soaked wood on it. I passed on it but damn it sure would have looked good wearing wood like that!

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an interesting cape gun.....16 ga./7x65R with extra 16 ga. dble. barrel set. Bores are gorgeous. Function is perfect. Buttstock was repaired sometime in Europe .....neat, but hardly aesthetic. Only real obstacle (besides stock) to greatness.....is the fact that the receiver had been plated (nickel??). I decided to remove the plating.....bought the appropriate chemical.....didn't get to it, and I'm getting long-in-tooth. I would bet that if the plating were removed, the receiver then case-hardened, and new wood applied.....the result would be a FINE rifle/shotgun combo. Blue is very good. If you want to discuss this with pictures sent....I will dig it out.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Conifer, I will send you a pm.

ddj

one of us
posted Hide Post
I might tend to look for a small bore Fox Sterlingworth. They shot up to ridiculous levels, but have come down. The 12's are cheap but not much demand. They have the same action as the regular Fox and have been one of the guns in demand to upgrade for years. They can be made into a showpiece, and seem to command a good price as upgrades if you decide to sell.

Check this article out:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/kindler1.htm
Don't do a cheap gun; it will have zero increase in value. You will be simply throwing all of your money down a hole.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I might tend to look for a small bore Fox Sterlingworth. They shot up to ridiculous levels, but have come down. The 12's are cheap but not much demand. They have the same action as the regular Fox and have been one of the guns in demand to upgrade for years. They can be made into a showpiece, and seem to command a good price as upgrades if you decide to sell.

Check this article out:

http://www.doublegunshop.com/kindler1.htm
Don't do a cheap gun; it will have zero increase in value. You will be simply throwing all of your money down a hole.

That is what I was going to suggest. I think I have a 16ga WC Scott that could use a restock, but if this is your first one I think you would want to start with a box lock. Be sure to post your progress.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote