THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Hot Barrels on SxS with Splinter Forend
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Barrels on SxS with Splinter Forend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
I recently acquired a 20 gauge SxS that I thought would make a nifty "classic quail gun."

I took it to the skeet range last week to see how it-and I-might perform.

Given my shotgunning limitations, the little SxS shot beautifully. I'll definitely take it on a quail hunt next fall.

However, the splinter forend, which I have never had on a shotgun, as my others are O/U or autoloaders, doesn't provide enough wood to keep my thumb and fingers off the barrels when I break the action to reload.

Granted, we were shooting a fairly fast round of skeet, but by station 3 I was hurting.

I've ordered one of those leather slide-on protectors; however, several reviewers say they tend to "walk" up the barrel and need frequent adjustment.

Would appreciate any experienced shotgun aficionados' advice or comments on the "hot barrel" problem with splinter SxS doubles. I'll definitely wear a glove next time I shoot--will that be enough? I do think the anticipation of raising blisters may have affected my score a bit.

Thanks--

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1548 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
If you're talking about the Galco Barrel Gaurd they are a great way too go. I've used one on several guns and been happy. There might be some configurations that would slide around, but mine has stayed put pretty well. Maybe if the 20 ga version slides too much, try the 28 ga size.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Leather glove works fine for me. Obviously if you sit there holding the barrels long enough the heat will transfer, so minimize that.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the Gripswell gloves I highly recommend them for shooting sxs

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Sitka shooting gloves - no issues.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:
I've ordered one of those leather slide-on protectors; however, several reviewers say they tend to "walk" up the barrel and need frequent adjustment.
Those work great. I've never had a problem with them "walking" up the barrel. Remember not to store the gun with them on.

Of course a glove on the non-shooting hand will work too.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It should not be an issue; any traditional English sporting gentleman would be wearing custom fitted kid leather gloves, and furthermore, he would have a matched pair of fine custom shotguns, to be held at the ready by his gun handler, and swapped out after a few shots at game, or thrown glass balls.
So, anyone who complains about splinter forearms needs to remember their origin. And the solution is NOT to adorn a shotgun with a big square 2x4 plank of wood. Those are hideous and should be banned.

Posts: 17134 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the barrel guard with great success, I even have a modified one to use with my double rifle when at the range. My Father use to have one on a 28ga even during the hunting season as it gave him a place to "index" his forward hand as he was trying to grip the gun farther out the barrels to not over swing a lighter gun.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I always wear gloves to prevent burns and cuts.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1427 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when not shooting, keep your action broke open and let air flow through the tubes. It will help a little bit.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote