Tools

Which shotgun would you buy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted
Which shotgun would you buy considering the following parameters:

1. Budget up to $2,500.
2. It would be a 12 gauge side by side or over under hunting shotgun.
3. I would want at least some option of having a stock fit to my size. I guess that would also mean, the person selling it would have to have some knowledge of how a shotgun should fit.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Numbers one and two are achievable. Number three (finding an old-fasioned retailer who can fit a stock) is a pipe dream these days.

Any shotgun in the under-$2500 range is going to come with pretty standard stock dimensions. In order to vary from any dimension other than length of pull, you're going to have to do it yourself, or find the rather rare gunsmith who knows something about altering drop, pitch, and cast.

The Berettas and Citoris fall well within your price limit. Most people don't feel that the Rugers are quite up to the level of the first two makes. There are a potload of "off" brands now available, some of which are good values. If you want to spend somewhat less money, then the Turkish-made Huglus (CZ) are a pretty good value for the price.

Since you want a two-barrel gun, I have to assume it is for upland shooting. And for most upland shooting, I think you're much better off with a 20 gauge these days. You'll have a lot less weight and bulk in the gun and a faster, more responsive swing.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
You might wanna look at the Winchester Select line (Belgian built by FN). They're a very good gun for around $1200-$1600.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
Which shotgun would you buy considering the following parameters:

1. Budget up to $2,500.
2. It would be a 12 gauge side by side or over under hunting shotgun.
3. I would want at least some option of having a stock fit to my size. I guess that would also mean, the person selling it would have to have some knowledge of how a shotgun should fit.
Citori XS Skeet with adjustable combCitori

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a whole lot better buy in a used gun. I bought a Beretta BL-4 12 ga a couple of years ago for about $650. It was used but not abused (faded but not chipped) and shoots like new. It has hand-cut factory engraving, single trigger, and ejectors, and I wouldn't trade it for a new one in the $2500 range.

OK. $650 for a gun, $25-$50 to get the chokes opened if needed, you have $1800 left to take it to Wenig in Missouri and have it fit to you. Wood butts can be shortened and lengthened, and bent to give cast off or cast on. Google Wenig gunstocks and see what you can get for $1800.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. The Wenig site looks very interesting; I'll have to call them this week and see how much a custom stock would set me back. A good used double barreled shotgun with a new stock might be a good solution.

I've never been much of a shotgun enthusiast and only bought one because it's one of the approved firearms for Ohio deer hunting. I've taken it (a Mossberg 500 with a terrible trigger) bird hunting a couple of times. I blasted the first pheasant I ever shot at with it but my showing at sporting clays with some friends of mine was abysmal. I could believe I'm bad at shotgunning but my friend's assessment is that the gun doesn't fit me (believable since I'm well above average in height).

Any other suggestions others may have will be appreciated.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Grumulkin,

If you go with any of the Beretta 687/686E or 682Range you should find a gun that handles the way you like. I have a 682 GoldE and am selling it because it doesn't feel lively enough in my hands for my liking. It's a bit too steady if you know what I mean.

The Browning 425 range and 525 rages are in m,y view a lt of gun for the money and easily fitted. however the 425 has a metal insert running the length of the stock, (at least in my 20b) which limits how much cast you can put into it. I have just added a eighth to mine and it was the most I could put on it. Typically they come with a pretty straight stock or a sixteenth of cast, and perhaps a bit low for my liking. The Citori is supposed to be an excellent gun although I have yet to shoot one.

20Bores are a lot of fun, but be sure to go with a 30" barrell if you choose O/U configuration as anything less encourages a less than stable swing in an inexperienced shot. That will only ever knock your confidence and slow your progress. You will also want a slightly longer stock than you would need in a 12 to give you a bit more pointability.

Good luck in your choice. Other tips I would say are that the bbeauty of a second hand gun is that you can take it out and try it before you buy it. Also don't take the gun straight to the fitters. I like to shoot 500-1000 shells throughit firt to get a feel for it then take it in so I can tell the fitter how it feels and what my sight picture is, versus what I would like.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. I hope it helps.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best advice I can give is to hit several gunshops and shoulder some guns. If you can make it to a Cabelas or Gander Mtn that is even better, they have lots of makes to look at and play with. I prefer Browning as they just fit me. For 2500 you can find a very well made gun. Most of my Browning O/U's range under 1800. If you are looking for a true dedicated sporting clay gun it will run in the 2's. I shoot a 525 field 12ga and do just fine with the clays but have been using the 20's more and more.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for about 2-2200 you can find yourself a nice winchester 23, or maybe a nice v. bernadelli sxs

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote