New
Find
Notify
Tools

good youth shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend a good shotgun for a 9 yr old? Perhaps a 410 or a 28 pump action with an appropriate length of pull?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I let my boys try a 410 but it's hard enough to hit with they were getting discouraged. I wound up getting a Rem 870 Express Mag Youth in 20ga. I'm actually quite impressed with it. I bought him an I.C. choke and a case of #8's and he's rarely missing the clays. It's flat black with a laminate stock. I got it for around $300.
For my youngest, who's a lefty, I got a Stoeger O/U in 20ga and also a youth. His birthday isn't here yet but he's been using his brothers pump in spite of being left handed and is also doing quite well.
The NEF is a cheap way to start but may be so light that the recoil will feel worse. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rem 1100 LT20

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
I agree with Nugman and BigNate on the 870. I own 2 shotguns and both are 870s. I think my concern with a 20 ga. is the recoil. I would assume that the 1100 would have less recoil than the 870?

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
In my opinion a beginning shooter will have greater initial success busting clays with a 12 gauge. If you don't hit anything, all you will be worried about when you are a beginner is the recoil. If you start breaking up the clays you no longer notice the recoil as much. Besides, the light skeet loads in 12 gauge are easier recoil wise than most of the average 20 gauge loads. Get a shotgun that is versatile with the most ammunition options. I'll bet there are a lot of light loads for the 12 gauge.

When I was 11 years old my father gave me my first shotgun, a single shot 16 gauge. It still works fine and it is what I have my daughters shoot. They never seemed to notice the recoil. A Browning Auto-5 in 16 gauge would be my choice. Assuming you can find one of course. It's surprising how fast the kids grow so if the gun is to be kept don't get too small a stock, or at least one you can replace without too much expense.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i started out at age 8 with a bolt-action .410.... at 12 i got a 20 ga for christmas....the stock wasn't cut down any....i wanted a name-brand gun so i traded it for a remington 870.... kept it untill ruger introduced the red label's....now i shoot skb's...the older o/u market is pretty soft... citori's for $4-500....spartans for about the same...model 12's too....buy a good gun, get an extra stock and make the gun fit.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Just go ahead and get the kid a Beretta 391 Urika 12 ga. in the shortest barrel you can find and have the stock cut to fit him. Buy him some really light loads and he won't even be able to feel them. Plus, he will be able to brag to all of his 9-10 year old buddies that he has a 12 gauge. Wink

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote