New
Find
Notify
Tools

need a new o/u
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i dont know much about shotguns so i hoped on some recommondations.

i expect to participate on birdshooting with high-volume shooting a long way from home.
so i dont want a lightweight, but still light enough to carry around all day.
7-7,5lb would be fine.

i'm looking for a good, sound and reliable 12ga/3" shotgun with ejectorsand exchangable chokes, but i don't care for upgraded wood and engravings, and i don't like to pay more than necessary.

can you guys please recommend me a shotgun that fits my above specifications?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you were in the USA I'd suggest either a Browning Citori (lots of styles available) or a Winchester 101 -- but either way it would set you back $2,500 to $3,000 US dollars.

I can't imagine high-volume shooting with a 7 to 7.5 pound 3" magnum ---- recoil would be brutal.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the high-volume shooting would of course be with 2,5" and 2,75" shells

so a Beretta 686 wouldnt be up to the task?

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of clay targets with a Beretta 682 and don't see why the 686 or any of the Beretta series woulndn't work fine however the few 686's I've handled have been lighter than I'd want to use for volume shooting... and by volume shooting I mean 500 shots/day and more.

A ltwt 12ga is, for me, fine for walk-up shooting where you "may" have 25 shots in a single day but past that it would be lighter than I'd want to use.....and I couldn't imagine shooting a 3" magnum in one ... even once would be more than I'd want to try.

My "ideal" high-volume 12ga that would stand up year after year would be something on the order or a Perazzi or Krieghoff -- 30" barrels that have been back-bored (to lighten weight) with screw-in chokes (versatility) and a fairly heavy piece of wood for weight and balance. My previous gun for this was a Perazzi MX-8 that I put more than 400,000 rounds thru (rebuilt twice) before I sold it and bought a K-80 that is still going strong after 200,000 rounds. It's the ltwt frame maodel and has 2 sets of barrels --- 28" with screw-in chokes and a set of 30" that have been back-bored also with screw-in chokes --- both barrels by Briley.

Both guns were and are used for trap/skeet and hunting --- with the appropriate stock and chokes for each use.

Neither shotgun was inexpensive but they never let me down and are worth more now than when I bought them.

I should add the Perazzi that I used for 400,000+ rounds is still going strong for the new owner and he takes it to Argentina each year for dove shooting as well as weekly use on trap and skeet.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find one in decent shape, my choice would be the Miroku (now Browning Citori) in a 12ga. I have one I purchased new quite a few years ago and have shot a lot of skeet with the gun, in fact over 9500 rounds and it never missed a beat. I also have two in 20ga. In seven trips to South America for doves and pigeons I took a Belgian Lightning 20 and the Miroku (Chas Daly) and both performed flawlessly. That is more than I can say for the Bennelis; they were the ones that failed.

You can still find a decent Miroku, maybe one still in the box, albeit used, for under $1000.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
Beretta 686 or 687 would be my way to go. Pick a "Sporter" version if you want a little extra weight.

A Miroku / Browning would do just as well. It is a matter of what fits and feels best for you.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
IMO, the fit of a shotgun is critical. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that it's the most important point of the discussion.

Case in point: I went by my local dealer to look at shotguns today. Mostly just for giggles but I do want an ultralight 20guage o/u. I was pretty much set on a Beretta 686 White Onyx...just a gorgeous shotgun.

So I shouldered it a couple times and Norm the counter guy just shakes his head. "Nope" he says. "Your working too hard to make that work. What else do you want to see?"

"Ok, Synergy. I shot one at the recent Gun-Fair". He hands me the shotgun and it comes right up. He nods and says "Much better. That looks natural." I shoulder it a few dozen more times and note that the sight plane comes right up into instant focus.

"Yeah, that's nice" I say. "But I'm not sold on the looks." He reaches back and looks at the racks. I say "Make it an ultra-light. 26" barrel. 20 gauge."

"English stock Ok?"

"Hit me" I say as he hands over a Citori Superlight Feather 20 with the straight English stock.

And I think I just saw a flash of nirvana.

"Now THAT looks right. Most people don't do well with an English...but that just looks natural. How's the swing?" The 26" panned slow in my hands and felt like a precision weapon.

I went in to look at the 686 and found that I just couldn't shoulder it without concious thought and effort.

And the shotgun I didn't really want to like (the Browning Citori Superlight Feather) fit me like a dream. I'm not quite as fond of the wood...or the engraving...or the general aesthetics as I am the Beretta. But it just plain fit me like a true extension of my body.

Not to be outdone, I tried several other shotguns ranging up to $5k. Nothing fit as well, felt as good, or handled as nicely.

So, go to the store with an open mind and try a BUNCH of different shotguns. Ill-fitting shotgun means misses and more felt recoil. Go with the one that fits RIGHT.

(BTW, just in case you were wondering. Yes, this is 100% true. The wife just approved budget on this one too! On the other hand she stole my AL48 so I had to replace the shottie anyway... Big Grin)

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2314 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote