New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 20 Ga Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I zeroed my new Savage 220F today and was amazed at getting a 3/4 group at 100 yds with Federal 3" shells with Barnes Expander Sabots. It is built on the Savage 110 LA and has 2 rd detachable magazine. It even has a very smooth accu trigger.
Savages don't win beaty contest but this is a very impressive slug gun.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've heard the same from several folks - intend to get one between now and next year to use as a backup rifle. Hardly ever shoot past 50yds anyway - that 20ga slug should tip 'em over pretty well, i reckon'...

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a couple of guys that have them and they report excellent results too.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
Considering the 20 ga is actually a .62 caliber and that Savage can be loaded up almost to 600 N.E. ballistics using brass cases, it's hardly surprizing...500-900 gr slugs at 1500-2000 plus fs...the striking power of which is NOT to be sneered at...5000 to 10,000 ft lbs of energy at the higher levels.

We're talking about a large bore rifle rather than a rifled barreled shotgun. Big Grin shocker

The main problem is with the anemic loads usually found for 20 ga slugs, in the past...in the present, the potential of the 20 ga slug gun using strong bolt or single shot receivers is becoming evident and a whole new field of shotgunning has opened up.

Check out the Big Bore, 12GaFH link to see the potential of your Savage, Dwight. tu2

Luck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 3"Federals with Barnes 273 gr expander sabot at 1900 fps and it was just wicked on 3 deer. A big hole on each side and as accurate as it is I am wondering why even carry a rifle for shots inside 200yds if living in a rifle state.
I mounted a Nikon slughunter scope on it which has a bdc reticle. Based on the Nikon software for my round the bottom circle was supposed to be zero at 225 yds and it was right on.
There is a great test report on Chuckhawks.com that sold me on it before I placed my order.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote