THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Information on leading the bird in trap
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information on leading the bird in trap
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a link or suggestions on the amount of lead required for angled shots in trap? Obviously, it will be different from 0-22 degree angles, but lets say at 22 degrees, what is required?

I shoot well at stations 1-3, but have a difficult time at 4 & 5. I believe I am shooting behind the bird.

Thanks.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dodge Dude:
Does anyone have a link or suggestions on the amount of lead required for angled shots in trap? Obviously, it will be different from 0-22 degree angles, but lets say at 22 degrees, what is required?

I shoot well at stations 1-3, but have a difficult time at 4 & 5. I believe I am shooting behind the bird.

Thanks.

You probably are, but you need to be sure you're maintaining solid cheek contact as you swing......pretty easy to "peek" and come off the gun on the angles, especially left to rights (assuming you're right handed) which means you're swinging away from your face. A knowledgeable (and I stress the word knowledgeable) friend or shooter standing behind you should help determine what you are doing wrong. It is somewhat difficult to OVERLEAD the extreme angles but what you should do is go to the range on an off day or early when no one else is around, except maybe a friend or coach who can help spot for you, and lock the trap into the angle position. Then you can shoot that target from station 4 and 5 until you've got it down. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FIGURE A PERFECT LEAD. Just get 2 or 3 feet (whatever it looks like to you) and keep swinging as you pull the trigger. It won't take long until you'll figure it out.

A lot depends on what kind of rib you have, how high your pattern shoots, etc but most people "cheat" towards the angle side of the trap on the outside stations. If the bird is getting too big of a jump on you, you might move your hold a bit more to that side.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

I am dusting the slight angled and straight-away birds. I seem to do better at 1&2 than 4&5. I don't know if it is my foot position or because I am left eye dominant shooting right handed. I'm definately not leading the bird two to three feet at extreme angles, but I will try to adjust my point of aim.

The gun I'm presently shooting has a Broadway styled rib.

Regarding cheek contact with the stock; it has been mentioned that some individuals have noticed the bill of my cap bobbing. I will try to plant my head stationary during targets to avoid peeking.

Posts: 86 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 18 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're shooting a Browning Broadway O/U my thought would be you're shooting UNDER the targets as they are well known to be very flat shooting shotguns.

Have you checked your guns POI?

Here's something you might try. If you can, have them lock the trap in position to throw straight-a-way targets from Post 3 and try different sight pictures until you are reducing the bird to nothing but a puff of smoke.

Afte you get that imprinted, leave the trap setting the way it was (throwing straight from Post 3) and move over to Post 2 and do the same thing --- then Post 4 etc etc

The very broad ribs like on your shotgun have gone out of style, especailly for handicap shooters as even a small amount of misalighnment between your eyes and the rib will surely canused you to miss.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
a difficult time at 4 & 5. I believe I am shooting behind the bird.

quote:
You probably are

quote:
I am dusting the slight angled and straight-away birds. I seem to do better at 1&2 than 4&5

Dude,

Already great advice from Gato & Bill.

Let me throw some more gas on the fire!

From the two quotes fo yours above plus Gato's sage advice, you're sending mixed signals.

I'm sure you're Stopping your Swing but you really do need to have someone with experience stand behind you, even better would be a video of you shooting from the side. Head-Bobbing (Periscoping) can easily be noted as can the position of the muzzle (especially if it stops) when you slap the trigger.

I am not of the "School" of imaginary "Leads" since everyone sees a different 6"'s, 2' & 1 yard at 15, 20 & 27 yards. Plus it goes against human nature to "aim" (primary cause of stopping swing) at an imaginary spot in the sky where nothing exists. What intuition does in this case is attempt to locate this (imaginary) spot and then again find the Bird to confirm it's location. Way-y-y too much going on at one time here.

I am of the "School" of aim shoot at the Bird and afford follow-through to take it's natural course. Your eye cannot focus (or see) the Rib, the Bead(s), the Bird & an imaginary spot in the sky at the same time = visual overload. I don't even want to know what you've seen as you slap the trigger - except the Bird (correct answer!)

While you're attmepting to sort out the temporary lapses that occur to everyone's shooting, try shooting (not aiming) at the bird and follow-through. In American Trap with one shot there's no reason to not keep the barrels swinging (following-through) at the shot.

When finding oneself in a Hole - the first thing to do is Stop Digging; applies to shotgun shooting, too. When in a slump, always return to the Basics.

Forget my cynism and attempts a levity here but do try shooting AT the Bird while you're sorting this out.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the reply.

I am dusting the slight angled and straight-away birds. I seem to do better at 1&2 than 4&5. I don't know if it is my foot position or because I am left eye dominant shooting right handed. I'm definately not leading the bird two to three feet at extreme angles, but I will try to adjust my point of aim.

The gun I'm presently shooting has a Broadway styled rib.

Regarding cheek contact with the stock; it has been mentioned that some individuals have noticed the bill of my cap bobbing. I will try to plant my head stationary during targets to avoid peeking.

If you are truly left eye dominant shooting right handed it won't matter what you do until you either completely block off or close your dominant eye, you will never be able to compensate for the "take over" which will occur at odd times shooting with both eyes open. I don't know how old you are but a better option might be to switch sides.

I'm left eye dom and right handed shooter, but I started closing my eye when I started shooting a rifle at age 4, by the time I figured out the eye dominance deal (no one had ever heard of it back in the 50s) I was too old and too set in my ways to change. I managed pretty well but shooting with both eyes open is certainly better. It has been my experience that for strongly left eye dominant people, the various patches, tapes, dot methods, etc don't work all that well unless they completely block off the left eye. All in all, I'd consider closing the left eye or switching shooting sides.....the latter is a far better option if you're relatively new to shotgunning.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: As mentioned above, the Broadway style rib is no longer considered to be optimal for target shooting. In addition to that, as a one eyed shooter (me, and probably you) I found that broad rib blocked out too much area that I wanted to look at. That doesn't mean you might not prefer to shoot one, that's your choice, but you might try a thinner rib and see if you like it better.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replys. I just picked this gun up a short time ago and only have a couple hundred rounds through it. I believe I will be able to shoot well with it, but I just need to get a better feel for where it shoots. I have not patterned it yet and hope to do so this week.

I don't think there is an issue with follow though as I've never stopped my swing at trigger pull. At 49, I will never be able to switch to left handed, I played hockey that way, but it just doesn't feel natural with a gun. I have been keeping both eyes opened as the bird leaves the trap, and then close my left eye (seems to be the most effective for me).

I'll keep working with it for a season and if it doesn't work out, I'll kick it to the curb and look for something else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
DD,

You got some good advice above, but if you asked me how much lead I have on any target, I'd give you the same answer...none. It all depends on how much gun speed you have. I shoot extremely fast and just don't need any lead. If you move slow, though, undoubtedly you'll need some lead. You'll have to figure that one out on your own, though. If your left eye is taking over and you can't get over it (I don't reccomend closing your left eye), you might try getting a blinder for the left side of your rib so you can't see the beads (and therefore where the bird should be). A friend of mine tried it when his eyes were giving him fits, and it really worked. Another way to do it is by putting a dot on your left lense (assuming you wear glasses while you shoot). That will help, too, but I don't think it's as effective as the 1st method. I don't think you should be too worried about your Broadway, either, it sounds like you're a new shooter and you will probably go through many, many more guns before you're done. You'll deal with the higher ribs, POIs, and adjustable stocks then!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Justin,

Thanks. Yes, I'm a new shooter to trap (the past two years). I've done a lot of events in my former years including rifle and combat, but I am really enjoying this moving target game.

As you said, I will most likely have other guns to follow (that's pretty much a given). I purchased a 391 with a Money Maker rib, adjustable comb and Gra-coil setup for my son which I like to shoot. The Broadway I purchased was pretty much a 30 year old unmolested safe queen from a dentist. I liked the looks and feel of the gun. I will give it an honest effort over the next year and see if there is a good fit.

I plan on shooting a few ATA, MTA and club events, but more for the enjoyment. If I ever get to the point where it isn't fun anymore, I will look for something else to do.

Regarding your comment on blocking the left eye, what were you referring to (patch over the lens)?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Justin,

Thanks. Yes, I'm a new shooter to trap (the past two years). I've done a lot of events in my former years including rifle and combat, but I am really enjoying this moving target game.

As you said, I will most likely have other guns to follow (that's pretty much a given). I purchased a 391 with a Money Maker rib, adjustable comb and Gra-coil setup for my son which I like to shoot. The Broadway I purchased was pretty much a 30 year old unmolested safe queen from a dentist. I liked the looks and feel of the gun. I will give it an honest effort over the next year and see if there is a good fit.

I plan on shooting a few ATA, MTA and club events, but more for the enjoyment. If I ever get to the point where it isn't fun anymore, I will look for something else to do.

Regarding your comment on blocking the left eye, what were you referring to a translucent patch over the lens?