Find
Notify
Tools

Lightest recoiling 20ga?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
Anyone have actual experience with which 20ga autoloader has the lightest recoil? Due to a medical problem, got to go to a 20 (already have a 28ga, but want the 20).
I've shot both the Beretta 391 and the Rem 1100. Am leaning toward the Remington unless someone knows of something softer.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
The Beretta's are pretty soft shooters, even more so with a 3/4oz handload. When I take nubile young women to the range to introduce them to shotgunning that's what I have them use.

Those loads are economical too, 533 loads out of a bag of shot.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I believe some of the Franchi models are also known as soft shooters.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the Beretta and Remington will be soft shooting. I have shot both and believe the Reminton is the softest. Remington makes a low recoil 20ga 7/8 oz load that is wonderful for clays and Upland. John

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Appreciate your responses.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find that a 12ga Beretta 391, using 1oz loads, will be much softer shooting than any 20ga Beretta 391 you will handle.

If you're dead-set on a 20ga frame, take a look at the Browning Sporting Clays model.

Personnal quirk --- I can't stand the Rem 1100's -- nice shooting and handling guns but I've had more problems with them than all the other guns I've ever owned. Point-of-impact problems (bent tubes etc) and parts that break with a dirty look.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try English 2 inch shells out of a 12 gauge side by side or over and under. Sweet on grouse with no recoil!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote