Find
Notify
Tools

Slug guns and loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,
On the Cast Bullets forum, I've asked for some help in the casting of shotgun slugs. Would anyone here by any chance be a home-brewer of slug loads? I'm in my infancy of learning about these so would appreciate some advice on the following: 1. Opinions of the Savage 210 and H&R Ultra Slug Hunter as a basis for a slug gun, which is better? and 2. Where can I find load data or would someone be willing to share, privately if need be? Thanks for any help or pointers in the right direction, I realise my questions are a bit broad but I'm just taking my first steps down this road.
Thanks again...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Con: I can't help you with slugs, as they are generally only used here in areas where, for some mysterious reason presumably dealing with the greater range of rifle bullets, deer hunting is restricted to shotguns. If you are allowed to use a rifle, by all means do so. Even with all of the advances in slugs, they still shoot with marginal accuracy for hunting game.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the H&R forum at Marlin Talk. There is some info about the H&R Ultra slug gun there.

Posts: 163 | Location: Upstate, NY | Registered: 26 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which slug gun depends on what your going to do with it. The H&R is more accurate by most accounts, but has a very heavy barrel and is a single shot. The should still be more accurate than a pump or an automatic with a rifled barrel screwed on. If you hunt mostly from a stand, wieght isn't much of an issue and most of the time you'll have a fair amount of time to pick your shot. If you still hunt, or spot and stalk, I think that the H&R will get pretty heavy by the end of the day.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
I've done it for a few years now....not really cost effective unless you shoot a lot of slugs. However, it is fun and adds a new dimension to shotshell reloading. You can find information on slug loading from the book RELOADING FOR SHOTGUNNERS, 4TH EDITION, by Flacker and McPherson. You and also get a slug reloading booklet and slugs from Ballistic Products (www.ballisticproducts.com), and you can get a mold from LEE, which comes with a handful of loads. (www.leeprecision.com). Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for the replies, they were all appreciated. I'm yet to choose which slug gun to purchase, I'm waiting on a final price for the H&R before deciding. I've found a near new Savage 210F for a steal but my heart is set on the H&R, price will determine the final outcome. My search for slug loading data continues, the Lyman Shotshell guide is unavailable in Australia (for the moment) but I'm following up on some other leads. Today I discovered that ADI limited has placed its reloaders guide on the web at www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide and is including slug data so I've had success there as the listed components are available in Australia. Thanks again for your help, I'll report back once I've got some results from my loads...
Cheers
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote