Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win. 571
 Login/Join

posted
I was just given 8lb of 571 powder and it is in good condition. We have not loaded this powder for some time, I did many years ago. Can anyone tell me a good load for a 12ga, 2-3/4 hull (Rem.)for 1-1/4 loads? If I can remember right, it was almost like a Blue Dot powder load. Thanks for you time

beng

Posts: 4 | Location: Milledgeville Ga. | Registered: 13 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded many pounds of 571 with 1-3/8 but don't think I used it with 1-1/4, will look when I get home. It worked very well with 1-3/8. I believe it was the same as HS7. You want a wad that fits very tightly in the case as the powder had a nasty habit of migrating up past the wad when the shells are carried in a hunting coat for a few days.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is the same spec powder as HS-7 and a little slower than Blue Dot. I used to use a lot of it in high-velocity 20 ga. 1 oz. loads. Like cgbach, I only used it in 1 3/8 oz or heavier 12 ga. "magnum" loads as it is too slow for anything much lighter. You can use Hodgdon data, or there is data in the older Lyman shotshell loading manuals. I have some older Winchester powder booklets in my archives at home.

If you still need some loading data drop me a PM and I'll email what I have. However, the problem with older data is that it may not include the particular hull you are wishing to use. Which Remington hull is it? Another problem is that much of the older data also uses wads that are obsolete.

Come to think of it, why don't you just ship that keg of WW 571 to me and I'll use it up with the old hulls and old wads I have stashed in my supply room. Smiler

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote