THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Win Model 12 vs. Rem 870 and Win 1300
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win Model 12 vs. Rem 870 and Win 1300
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lately I've been struck by a serious bout of nostalgia. I've been thinking of recreating the hunting days of my youth, when I used to go afield with my father. Every time I get ahold of a gun from those days (pre-64 Model 70, Model 88 lever) it brings me back. I really enjoy hunting with these older guns; there's something very solid and comforting about them. I'm thinking of acquiring a Model 12 to hunt with; my question is: casting the emotional part out of the equation, how does the Model 12 rate when compared to the more modern equivalent from Rem and Win? And secondly, when just comparing the current guns, Rem 870 to Win 1300, what are the differences between these?

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M12 is more solidly built than the 870 and world's better than the 1300. Many shotgunners considered the M12 as the most pointable of the pumps.

As far as total reliability, it would be hard to say, but the 870 is certainly extremely reliable as is the 12. Both are so much better than the 1300 that there is no comparison. The 870 is MUCH easier to work on or get worked on these days than a M12. You have to be a real gunsmith to do good work on a 12.

Downside to the 12, most of them are 2 3/4 inchers and the 3 inch guns are a good bit heavier which makes them somewhat clunky for other than waterfowl uses. They are not able to shoot steel, or at least it is not recommended with any of the tighter chokes. And, as I mentioned above, if you have a problem it will likely be harder and more expensive to fix than if it were the same problem on an 870.

But, the surfaces and solid steel machining of the 12 certainly are things of beauty to those who appreciate them. Also, the M12 lends itself to beautiful engraving because of the large flats on the receiver if you are so inclined and have the money.

The Browning re-issue 12s in 20 and 28 and the 42 in .410 are certainly worth considering. The high grade Vs can be had for about a grand and are a real bargain for what you get.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote