THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Casting molds for rifled slugs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Casting molds for rifled slugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I did a check for you and all I found was foster type slugs by Lee and Lyman and Rapine. I did not see any rifled slugs out there. If your shotgun has choke tubes you could consider a rifled choke tube and use foster slugs. At shorter distances I have seen foster type slugs shoot great in smooth bores so that may be your only option depending on what shotgun you own. Jim

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are their any recommendations for molds for making cast shotgun slugs? I was after the slugs with the rifling built into the sides to use in my smooth bore.Any recommendations?

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifling onthe side of a slug is put there with a die. It is not cast on. The ribs do help the slug pass a choke. They do not add much to accuracy. They fly point foreward only because they are behaving like a badmittin birdie. Spin aquired in flight has nothing to do with it. For a smoothbore gun with little or no choke I would experiment with balls. I have made and used pumpkin ball loads with good accuracy. I loaded them in shotcups. Real fun to shoot over water and watch them skip like a stone. Be real carefull with that! The Lee moud makes a thing that looks like a giant airgun pellet that goes in a normal shotcup and crimps like a normal shell. That one intrigues me. If you are going to play around with slugs I would suggest a rifled barrel.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman hourglass slug is the one we get the best reports on. It fits inside a shotcup that acts as a sabot. I've had very little success with the others.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wanted to use them for hunting pigs. I dont have a shotgun with removable chokes yet ,but will think about a rifled choke later on. I have used the factory slugs which have the rifled ribs on the outside. And yes ,they did seem to be like a badminton design. Its this sort of thing that I was after ,just for close up hunting. I havent used or seen the "hour glass"shaped ones yet.
I will look through some of the mold manufactures websites to see if there are any molds to make the badminton shaped ones.(Sorry I dont know the proper names)

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote