THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Rechambering to 3 1/2" super magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rechambering to 3 1/2" super magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
DuaneinND:

What puzzles me about the original post by cr500 is this: Wouldn't any lengthening of the chamber also have to change the force cone or taper into the barrel? (And then require a new fitting of a new barrel?) BTW, I honestly can't think of just how the chamber of a shotgun can be lengthened at all. As you said, it's a monolithic piece of steel. Just asking.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In some places in Australia ,steel shot is now mandatory as well. I would sometimes need to use steel shot ,depending on where and what I,m hunting. Mainly I was interested in rechambering an existing 3" magnum side by side to 3 1/2" for use as a pig gun but still being able to use 3" and 2 3/4" shells for birds.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A general rule of thumb is that the monoblock(the solid portion the barrels are fastened to) must be as long or longer than the chamber in order to be safe.

www.duaneguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will have a look Duanne and see how long the monoblock is. Any idea if the 3" chambered Miroku SXSs were strong enough?

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote