THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Which are True 28 guage receivers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which are True 28 guage receivers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
I am sort of piecing this together without much luck.

In o/u, I know the Berreta has some true 28 ga frames, not just a 20 ga frame fitted with 28 ga barrels, but which ones are they?

Does Browning have any dedicated 28 guage receivers, if so, which models. Is the Citori Lightning grade 4 a dedicated 28 receiver?

Or a Browning 525?

I have tried to get my hands on as many of these as I can, but they are pretty rare.

I found a Beretta Silver pigeon 5 that appears to be a true 28 receiver...

Any input will help, as I will likely buy online and won't have a chance to handle it first.

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know my beretta 686 silver pigeon 28-gauage is on a 20 frame. It could be that i got it as a two barrel set, but a buddy who opted just for the 28 seems to have the same frame as mine.

Ruger I'm pretty sure builds their 28 on a true 28 frame. There is one other, damn, can't recall which one, but it sure isn't a browning citori in any grade.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Where are you from? I'm lucky to be from SW PA, we have a lot of great shotgun dealers (Joel Etchen and Hi Grade to name 2 within an hour of me). Anyway, if you need some help with Berettas, I would say Joel's your man, even if you aren't from this area and you are interested in one, he would ship it to you, great guy to deal with. Go to www.joeletchenguns.com for contact information, they're really good about answering e-mails if that works best for you, but just give them a call.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Citori Gran Lightning 28ga that was built on a true 28ga frame. I expect their other 28's are built the same way except the combo 20/28 sets.. I've been buying up their 16ga O/U's since they too are built on a 16ga frame.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the 28 gauge Marlin "LC Smith" SXS?
Is it a true 28 frame?

BTW, the CZ Woodcock is a true 28 frame. I have one and it is sooooo sweet to handle. Mine's not broke yet, but keep your fingers crossed.

Ken

Posts: 190 | Location: Mountains of Virginia | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am told that Beretta offers a true 28 ga frame, but the one I own (BL-3) is on a 20 gauge frame. Having no underlugs, the Beretta frame is pretty compact, anyway.

Ruger uses a 28 frame in its O/U.

Winchester 101's were once available in a "baby frame", but they are both rare and astoundingly expensive.

The same is true of the handful of "baby frame" Charles Daly's (Miroku). I have one, but it is in well-used condition with the buttstock cut off for a kid shooter. A kid gun is what I bought it for (it was walking around at a gun show). Imagine my surprise when I got it home and meaasured the firing pin spacing and found it was a legendary baby frame!

In a SxS, the CZ Ringneck and Bobwhite are on a dedicated 28 frame. The RBL mention in a post above is supposed to be a 28 frame.

I'm sure there are others, probably from less well-known European manufacturers. They are probably pricey, also.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Screw it all and just get a Winchester 37 28 gauge......

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just traded my .460 for a 28ga Browning XS Sporting, essentially NIB. Don't know anything about O/Us, but I can tell you this is one petite little shotgun. Bob

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I think DeHaans are true 28 ga frames

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2584 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hikerbum:
I think DeHaans are true 28 ga frames

Correct. The DeHaan is made by Huglu (Turkish) and is the same gun (except for decoration) that was marketed formerly as Huglu and now as CZ. Dehaan offers some options that are not available from CZ, but the basic platform is identical.

A minor criticism of the Dehaan 28 gauge is that it has the same ducks and geese on the receiver as the larger gauges. That just seems out of place on a 28.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is 28ga Mossberg Silver reserve or
Mossberg Khan as it is also called,
on a 20ga O/U frame. I'm looking for 28ga
O/U on a heaviest frame possible.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking for 28ga
O/U on a heaviest frame possible.Ed

Then that would be a set of 28 ga barrels fitted to a 12 ga frame, as with a skeet set.

But may I ask why? (Doesn't need to be a good reason as just the irrational desire is good enough for a gun fancier.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek-I was looking for one ready
to go, and I like the looks of the
Mossberg. I want one ready to deepen
chamber on for my 28GA FH brass case.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote