THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    What 16 gauge ammunition do you use ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What 16 gauge ammunition do you use ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Just interested,

I use mostly Sellier&Bellot, including old papers, but mostly plastics (30.1 and 32grams), Clever Mirage 29 grams and RC-16 28grams, sometimes 24grams trap load from S&B. Would like to try winchester 1 1/8oz and federal premium 1 1/4oz, but it is very hard to find here. My shotgun is old o/u with 3/4 (I belive modified) chokes.

Did you find some ammunition especially performing or are all the same ?

Jiri

Posts: 2086 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use whatever I can find.Don't shoot the 16s too much.mainly just for fun every once in a while.I usually have to mail order shells if I want anything other than the cheap,promtional loads in # 7 1/2. I do have quite a few boxes of old Western brand shells,that are in bothe # 4,5 and 6.Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri - I shoot a 16ga quite alot. I used to load an ounce of shot over Red Dot powder and use it for just about everything (except ducks). I now usually buy a case of factory 1 1/8 oz Winchester AA from Bass Pro or Cabela's and save the reloading time. (I favor AA Winchester "hulls" for reloading, also.) It seems most outlet stores make it a habit (in our area) of putting 16's on sale once a year at 12ga "sale" prices. I find No's 5, 6, and 7 1/2 shot the most useful in this gauge in a Modified choked gun. Mags

Posts: 152 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use my own handloads. For the most part, I use a 1 1/8 oz load at a velocity of 1300 fps or so for almost all my bird hunting, adjusting the shot size to the species as needed. Occasionally, I will drop down to a 1 oz load for smaller birds such as woodcock and quail, but the velocity is the same.

Posts: 4 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Polywad DoubleWide

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the above post. Reason is,I shoot a tight choked Parker. Polywad offers short shells and the spreader feature so I can bring the old Parker out for fun.
Doug

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DAVE P

I live in maryland and have some 16 ga shells for sale at 3.00 a box.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheapo 1 oz loads from Remington or Winchester in 6 or 7.5, I also have half a box of Remington Express 1 1/8th in 6 that I inherited with the gun.

Posts: 63 | Location: north carolina | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote