New
Find
Notify
Tools

German shotgun help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will take possession of a German shotgun in a couple weeks. It is in 16ga. and probably had rifle barrels also. I have photos but haven't learned to post them. It has Wilhelm Muller and sons on it. Both barrels are 16ga. smoothbore. It is highly engraved, has set triggers, cheekpiece,adj. peep sights, trap door for cartridges in the bottom of the butt stock. The engraving shows stags on top and probably partridges on the side. The trigger guard and lever under forearm are in horn. Where do you go for info? I do have photos.
Thanks Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

You gotta get rifle barrels made for it!! 8x57 JRS! Is this the same beauty you posted before?

TG

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TG,
I have found that it was made by Immanual Meffert. It was probably made in the late 1890s and proofed in 1931. He was in Suhl, Germany. St. Hubertus that was engraved on top of the receiver was their trademark. The adj. peep sight was probably for slugs or balls. Other than knowing that it is very tight and all components work, that is the extent of my research.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend just brought me the shotgun this past week. It does have a trap door in the bottom of the buttstock and holds 4-5 rounds of rifle cartridges. About the size of a X57 cartridge. I believe that it is safe too shoot, but I won't at this time. It is really nice.
Butch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, we need pictures, lots of them, lol. Sounds like a real gem. Congratulations

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pictures sent to Chic.
Butch