Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

working SXS 12 guage
 Login/Join

posted
I need some suggestions selecting a reasonable SXS 12 ga. (under $2000). I would like screw in chokes and ability to handle 3" shells. I would use it for all types of bird hunting. I really don't care about wood as I will probably beat it up hunting. I just really like the feel of a SXS.

Posts: 19 | Location: montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you want a SXS that is light you can realy swing and shoot quick shots with and hit birds with. Do you want a SXS for a light wieght upland gun or to sit in a blind with a cannon and shoot ducks?

Screw in chokes add weight to the end of the barrel and you have 2 . Something to consider.

What do you need 3" shells for? Buy a duck/goose gun for that.

Ugartechea is a nice gun , AYA , JP Sauer are good, on up to a Merkel. These are light wieght guns. look at the wieght when you shopping. Huglus are heavey

Browning, Bereta , etc.

I found that I like 28" barrels . 26" are to wippy and dont swing smoothly for me and its hard to hit anything.
28" 20 ga is my favorite.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
GSP7 has given you some great options. Uartechea look fantastic, at a reasonable price for a sxs. check out Dehaan though. www.dhshotguns.com

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2588 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thadscott.com should still have some H&K Fabarm SxS guns. $1,250 will put you into one. Exceptional warranty, too.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
drd39,

Today as it stands the "best" value in a new SXS shotgun is the AYA 45/3; msrp 2795.00. These are just like the fine English guns at a fraction of the cost. This is one of those brands that Purdey & H & H collectors openly admit to using - they are such a great value and handle like "Best" guns should.

Careful here; side by sides ain't all the same. There are tons of clunky guns out there beware. I wasteda lot of time and money on SXS guns before settling in on a moderately priced English gun...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

You will never regret that extra 700 or so that it will take to get a real shooter.

Google the "AYA" brand and see for yourself.

And, welcome to the "real" shotgun world!

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,, Ive was searching for a used AYA. Aya is a nice gun. Its a spanish gun though so is Ugartechea and others . The spanish sxs are nice guns though thre are some lesser ones too.

Another nice spanish sxs is Arieta.

Your right , If you "cheap out" you can blow more money getting a few different guns and compareing ,rather than just spending alittle more $$ and get a nice one.

Then again if you train bird dogs its good to have a couple "beater" guns. Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a little food for thought...

...I recommended the AYA not just because they're good, but also due to the fact that there a lot of very competent smiths here in the US that have factory parts and can, if necessary fix'em quickly and right! These guns have been heavily used n this country for decades - thus the smith population is very accustomed to them.

As for the "beater" gun....Agree, training dogs brigs out the worst in gun handling, abuse, etc....you just can't focus on the birds like you can when the hounds are "on". I've always used autos for training. Don't mind beating up a Benelli / 1100-87 and those extra shots help compensate for frequent misses when keeping one eye on that 8 month old, unruly adolescent!!

Getting the bird down is the order of the day when in the "training mode".

Jeff

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys..... I have wanted a SXS shotgun for years....after that, I would like a double rifle. They are just sooooo much sexier than anO/U

Posts: 19 | Location: montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
drd39,
They do have a wonderful feel to them. I am rebuilding a Belgium Guild gun made by Peter Gosuin, a relatively unkown maker. It will come in a bit over 6 pounds. It has fairly nice engraving on it and will end up with a straight stock and a skeleton butt plate.

I would also recommend you look at a Dehaan, they are a bargain and Mr. Dehaan stands behind his guns.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I will also recommend DeHaan. I just got my 20 gauge SO model a couple days ago. Great field gun and Mark stands behind them. I prefer dealing one on one when warranty work comes along versus big corporations.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill what do you realy think of that Dehaan ? I see they are only $665.

Thats pretty cheap.

Can you compare it to a Urgartechea grade 1 or 2., JP Sauer or a AYA?? Have you handled any of the later?

Arent Huglus made in turkey Too. I have handle a huglu but they are on the heavy side as I remember.

PS, I just did some searching the DeHaan appears to be almost identical to a Hudlu. The reciever and ingraveing are identical.I bet they are made in the same factory.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
GSP7,

You are right. However, when they are made for DeHaan , Huglu follows his (DeHaans) guidlines and standards. Mark takes them apart upon arrival for a thorough inspection.

Here is a short critique.

The wood is fairly plain turkish. Stained. Metal to wood fit is quite good for a factory rifle. Barrel finish is VERY good. Checkering is simple but well done. The action is very stiff right now but its getting better with use. Trigger pull is pretty hard but thats also smoothing up. I do not like the engraving. It is done by hand but it could be better. Im glad I didnt buy a more heavily engraved model.

Overall its a good price for what you get. Nothing fancy, just a solid field gun with a good warranty.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I recomend you handle a few before you buy one. The bug bit me last year and I bought a Beretta Silver Hawk. You can find some of the fixed choke ones fairly reasonabe. But it does not fit. I did not realize this until I shot it awhile. The Browning and Winchester seems to fit better. I would also suggest you buy the best you can afford. I think the SKB is a good buy and well made. Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cowboy, just remember that fit has nothing to do with price. Each and every peson is an individual in the purest sense when it comes to shotgun fit. What may fit one person, will not another. Most gunmakers build what they consider is the average build. It often doesnt work and we just adjust to the situation. Of course since your eye is the rear sight, fit is very important.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote