Find
Notify
Tools

Connecticut Shotgun Co.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
Anyone have one of the CSC new round body SxS's? Are they worth the $3-4K price? Thanks.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring me up to date with links and specs as to what gun you mean? I have toured their plant and seen their guns.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Here ya go:

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/rbllaunch.html

Good hunting,

Andy

Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those guns seem to be the same as what I saw there at CT Shotgun a couple of years ago. At that time the price was lower, perhaps about $2500, however what is shown is quite fancy and indeed everything has gone up in price.

The owner is quite the guy. He likes Ferrari's. I would buy that gun if I could afford it.

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I was actually thinking of getting one of the 12 gauge ones they're going to begin building in '09. I spoke to the (rather terse) lady who answers their phone today and have probably changed my mind. I have a really English blank set I got from Bill Soverns and asked that it be used to stock my shotgun. The answer was "no" with no satisfactory explanation as to why...other than the wood for these guns is already cut. Too bad.

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought the RBL 20 gauge, up graded the wood to 4X and got the beavertail forend, single trigger. I love this gun. I shoot it realy well which is very unusual for me and SxS. I shoot sporting clays with it and took it to Montana this year to bird hunt. I do enjoy this gun am very happy with it and recommend it. I decided it was inexpensive for what you get. I am very happy with it.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a shotgun for several years worthy of the blank set I have...and my heart is set on having that particular wood used...not just on getting another shotgun. I'd really like to try and convince CSC to use my wood, but I can't get by the rather unfriendly lady who answers the phone. thumbdown

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I spoke to Tony Galazan (the owner) when they were building the original 20 ga gun and asked the same thing and got the same answer. He did say it would just be a logistical nightmare to have someones wood and misplace it or use it on the wrong one. Tony knows I am a stockmaker and suggested that I might just restock it and I did consider that. I have seen some of what they called Exhibition and it is far from it. The 20 was a very good price but I think the new ones are still a good buy, just not as much.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Hi Chic,

Yeah, it's probably still a good deal, but I can buy an old Parker or Fox and restore it for about the same money. I'm still considering one from CSC, but will definitely NOT deal with the lady who answers the phone. She really, really needs to get some personality about her. For the prices CSC gets on their 21's and Foxes, the receptionist should be kissing major butt when she answers the phone! Big Grin

Good hunting,

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, I also asked them if I could order one without any of their engraving and was told no. Then he asked why I did not want it and I told him I liked the looks of the gun but that cheap engraving takes away from the gun and that I would rather have it without any or pay someone good to do it. I think I am off their Christmas card list. Wink

I do agree, a nice fox in 20 restored would be better.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Geez, Chic, why didn't you tell him what you really think?! animal Even though those aren't expensive shotguns, as expensive shotguns go, they cost enough that people should be able to get some custom features. They are making "extremely limited runs" so I don't understand the problem with them losing someones blanks. I think I'll go with the Fox idea. thumb

Good hunting,

Andy

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Andy:

You might consider one of the Spanish guns as well, I believe that AYA or Grulla will build you a gun using your wood. On the AYA, I would talk to Dale Tate at Anglo American Sporting Agency http://www.angloamericansport.com, (209) 763-9040 or Lion Country Supply for the Grulla at 800-662-5202

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Tony G knew the engraving was anything but top notch, it is some kind of rolled on or computer generated stuff (big secret). He did say that he would love to see a really dolled up.

I am going to send you a pm about another gun I am looking at. I don't want to start a stampede here, lol.

Chic Worthing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The RBL is a great value!

Order a standard grade and love it. We put one through the paces last summer in South America - shot the crap out of the thing "ZERO" problems to report. My Superposed Brownings and a Krieghoff k-20 went to doubling under heavy shooting - the RBL did not!

I was impressed that a little 3-4K gun was such a performer!

If you are planning on heavy, high volume shooting forget those Vintage guns.

If not, Vintage guns are a lot of fun to take into the field...

..I have sent a few supposedly tough vintage guns to the graveyard - to count; 2 Winchester 21s and a Browning Superposed.

This year we will be testing the Merkel 147 SL - I ordered a pair, they're in and I'll bet they die before day three!!!

Thus far in our years "shooting down south", Krieghoffs have proven to be the best (I just can't stand the sight of them).

I do know of a pari of Beretta 687s that have in excess of 100K rounds through them and a Piotti King with well over 100K rounds through it - both have never failed...

Jusy my .02

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends who have 20ga RBL's and they love them.

I've shot a couple of them and as soon as I sell a trap gun or two I'm goint to get one.....the only problem is I know I want the pistol-grip stock with the single trigger but I can't decide if I want a beavertail forend or the splinter version.

You can find them on the used market in the low $3K range with all the goodies.

I wish I could afford the Fox they make but they're more than a little steep for me.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote