THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Information wanted about Betts shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Information wanted about Betts shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
Howdy All:

I was hoping someone here on AR would know about this shotgun maker, Walter Betts Whittall Street Birmingham England. All the dealer told me was the shotgun is from the early 1900s. Just wondering about quality, reputation, etc. Decent enough restoration on it I think.

The reason I got it was I have a WJ Jeffery .500 NE double rifle with hammers and I thought this would be the perfect practice gun.

Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is what Boothroyds' Revised Directory was to say about Walter Betts.
Walter Betts was listed at 26 1/2 Whittall Street, Birmingham, as a gun action maker in 1910, and by 1915 the style had change to Betts Junior. Not listed as in business in 1920. Also Alfred and Arthur at 27 1/2 Whittall Street, who were gun action filers. Walter and Alfred in business in 1930, then from 1935 to 1940. Not listed in 1945.
As you can see from the proof marks on your gun it was originally proof for 1 1/4 oz. It's hard to see through the glare on the barrel flats but if it gives a pressure proof in tons per square", then some time after 1954 the gun was re-chambered to
2 3/4' and re-proofed.
Hope this helps...

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A British gun of this vintage with that heavy of a proof (1 1/4) was either a waterfowl gun or a pigeon gun, more likely the latter if a pigeon gun other tale tales would be the chokes, if they are still original and the height of the comb. If it was made for waterfowl quite often gun makers would gold wash parts or all of the action to prevent corosion. They would also gold wash actions of guns that were destined for the Colonies as these guns would perhaps see harsher use and climates and not be returned to thier maker for proper maintenence as was custom during those times.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks, very much appreciated.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote