THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Browning B2000---What makes it undesirable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning B2000---What makes it undesirable?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted
When browsing the net, gun shops, and shows, I have often sensed an undesirability with this auto-loader. I have a b-2000 (12 gauge) in excellent shape and I absolutely love it. It does need to be cleaned after use, but as long as it is maintained, it has worked flawlessly for me. It seems that Benellis have a similar styling and they have sold like wildfire. My go-to gun is an 870 express because I can drag it through the woods and not have to worry about dinging up the wood...but in a dove field, I most always carry the Browning. What is everyone's opinion on this gun and why it was not all that successful?

Thanks for any help.

Posts: 72 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of my brothers shoot them and did for years. They both moved on to lighter guns. I understand that the cost of manufacture doomed them as well.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that is in very good condition. It is my go-to upland bird gun. I had to have the full choke bored out to I/C-Modified.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing at all. The B 2000 was and is an excellent design. I now have 3 and went out of my way to obtain 2 20ga. Being gas operated, they do require cleaning. Like many quality designs, the cost to produce them was their downfall.
Part of the reason that you see so many benellis is that they work. The bigger reason is that they are touted, marketed and praised by someone w/ "extreme" "pro" "master" or "commander" in their name or Tv show. It's the new reality---especially for weekend couch potatoes.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pattersonj11
posted Hide Post
I remember reading that every part for the 2000's was machined. I guess that would explain the high manufacturing costs.

I have shot a few Benellis and I love the small "hump" at the back similar to the B2000 or even the Browning Bar. I seem to shoot much better with those designs than the Remington rounded off receiver.

Does anyone have a design out now that handles recoil better than the Beretta X2?

Posts: 72 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
My dad picked up a mint one for a few hundred bucks. After giving it a once over, I couldn't figure out why they have such a bad rap. I did not get a chance to shoot it but it looked like a well-made shotgun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Their production period was rather short with Browning replacing them in their marketing line with a Beretta-produced auto (can't remember the designation right now).

I think that the unconventional left-hand side loading port may have made some people uncomfortable. Personally, I liked it and find the B-2000 quick and easy to reload.

I own a 12 gauge with both modified and skeet barrels, and two 20's. The 20's are great upland guns. All of them will digest fairly ragged reloads without hiccups.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had 4 of them, 2 12s and 2 20s, loved them, my favorite shotgun, been to South America twice, but parts got very scarce so I sold them while they were still shooting well and went to the Benelli M1 Super 90, no regrets, I love my Benellis and they see a lot of action here in Louisiana and South America.

If Browning was still making them, I would still be shooting them, I loved the side loading port.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Benellis are chambered for the magnum shot shells. There are more than a few complaints about them not working with dove and quail loads.
I think the B200 is probably a better gun for the money than many of the over touted Benelli inertia guns.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've owned them and shot them quite a bit. They are well made and very light recoiling. The only minus is the trigger reach is too long for some and they have been out of production a long time.

Posts: 10 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 July 2011Reply With Quote