Find
Notify
Tools

Browning 2000 shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted
Hi Guys, just bought a Browning 2000 in 12G - looks like new! Any one have experience with this Browning, and any reccomendations or do's and dont's?

Posts: 263 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one as my go-to upland gun and have had great luck with it. It points well for me and recoil isn't bad. One thing to look out for is the way the action bars and cradle lock into the wood forend. Mine broke loose and was rattling around. I had to bed it into the wood.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
The 2000 was Brownings first gas operated shotgun and I recall back in the days when they came out my father who did quite a bit of gunsmithing didn't speak well of them. Many duck shooters were using the Browning A5 then and the climate where we lived was very wet and cold in winter when our duck season was on. Probably not so much a fault of the gun but more the fault of shooters not cleaning them regularly. Of course paper shotshells were also the the mainstream then too. This combination was probably not good for any gas operated gun.

Probably today with cleaning, good lubes and plastic shells the B2000 should be as good as any other gas operated gun.

Posts: 3861 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two of my brothers bought B2000 shotguns back in the 80s. They shot high volumes at pheasants and doves and some waterfowl. They still have those guns but have moved on to smaller gauges and some O/U shotguns.
I think they were fine guns but a bit on the heavy side.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
If it fits you and you shoot well with it; be happy! They only made these for about seven or eight years starting around 1975. They were not a big seller and Browning spun their tires a little bit trying to find their niche in the post A-5 world. But if you take reasonably good care of it chances are you won't have any problems. Sometimes guns get a bad reputation when 7 out of 1000 of a certain model have issues (compared to Brand X having 5 out of 1000 with issues and Brand Y having 3 issues per 1000). You most likely have one of the 993 that won't experience any problems.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 12 and two 20's in the B2000, and have a friend who also has a 12. The only issue I have with them when swapping from a conventional auto is getting used to the left side loading port. It's actually handier than a bottom loading port once you're accustomed to it. One of the 20's has had a lot of rounds through it and has had no problems.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote