THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Recoil reduction with ported chokes?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil reduction with ported chokes?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have experience with ported choke tubes reducing recoil?

Posts: 10175 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20g 870 youth,, yes 12g no BUT they sure do look cool

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I use a Patternmaster Code Black ported choke tube in my semi auto 12g and haven't noticed any reduction in recoil when changing back and forth with the standard tubes. Not sure I even notice any better performance on wildfowl either with this style of choke.

Agree they do look cool and to some extent protect the barrel muzzle being quite a bit thicker and able to stand knocks better.

Posts: 3859 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! There's a big difference! The ported Mossberg I shot as a youth absolutely ruined my hearing for life. The ported shotguns (and rifles) are a magnitude louder. You won't notice the recoil when the muzzle blast is knocking the crap out of your ears.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ported choke tubes, no.

Barrel porting, yes.

But barrel porting really does make a lot more noise. Agree obnoxiously so.

Posts: 10635 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote