THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Light loads in old 16/20 ga autoloaders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads in old 16/20 ga autoloaders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
Browning A-5, Remington Model 11, or Savage 720/755, and in particular the 20 or 16 gauge. These retro guns using friction rings...can they be made to reliably function with light skeet type loads?

I've been doing some 'vintage bubba' clay target shooting with 16 and 20 ga pump shotguns of the 40's and 50's; Win Model 12's, Rem 31, and Ithaca 37's. They don't have any ammo issues. A friend with an 11-48 has issues getting it to reliably cycle with light loads (it goes through hunting loads no problem). I'm considering a Browning A-5 or one of it's other versions but want to make it work with light #8 loads.

Anybody have any experience getting these to cycle with light loads?

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, I just put this up on Guns Intl, a Y Model 12 with a new Moneymaker .780 barrel with screw-in .740 choke, high rib, and raised comb. Talk about vintage clays!

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
And I bet that is a target grinding machine!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, it sure is, and $1,050 to an AR guy.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
1000+ rounds later through several varieties of J.Browning designed recoil autos I think I've got the light load thing figured out pretty good. IF the friction rings are in the 'light load' configuration and ejection isn't up to snuff with light loads, then a very light amount of lube on the (cleaned) magazine tube will cure the problem. Just dealt with that issue this weekend after replacing a worn out bronze friction ring and spring on a Sweet 16. It wouldn't eject light loads so a film of lube smeared on the tube and it worked perfect. Don't need to get carried away as if ejection is too much that means the action is slamming back causing increased felt recoil and excessive stress on the receiver.

I've had a couple gas auto barrels (Browning B-80 and a Remington 1100) that were ported for heavier loads and were iffy with the light loads I use on the clay target range. I opened up one of the gas ports one drill bit size and got ejection tweaked just right for light loads.