THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Older sxs -12 Gauge Winchester Elite Extended Range Waterfowl 2 3/4" #2 Waterfowl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Older sxs -12 Gauge Winchester Elite Extended Range Waterfowl 2 3/4" #2 Waterfowl
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used this safely in an older sxs?

Here is the full description:-

Ammo 12 Gauge Winchester Elite Extended Range Waterfowl 2 3/4" #2 Waterfowl Bismuth Tin Alloy 1-1/4 Ounce 1450 fps 10 Round Box

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pressures should be ok. I have used nothing but 1-3/8 Bismuth 2-3/4 shells in my M21 with no problems whatsoever. The only thing that you might want to check out is the fit of the stock to the frame. A steady diet of those shells could cause stock splitting if the wood is not a good tight fit. The wood in older guns tends to shrink a bit which can cause problems.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cdgach, thanks for your reply. Do you have a good source for Bismuth shells? a cursory google search could not find any readily available except at gun broker or auctionarms

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No good sources right now, I am still using from a bunch I bought several years ago. I do believe they are being made. I also use Kent Tungsten matrix shells. They both work about as well as lead, they just cost a whole lot more.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bismuth is reasonably easy to reload, and both Precision reloading and BPI are selling the shot again. A new company is making the shot now available again. The precision load manuals use old lead shot wads, so that tells you something about its hardness.

If you are talking about a "modern" double (ie post WWII) the shells you have are fine for it in most cases- the problems with nontox shot is in the choke boring and the steel, hevishot, and the newer combos are noncompressable compared to lead. This can lead to a slight bulge right in front of the choke, which with a double can result in the barrel splitting off the rib. Bismuth is much more like lead. I've used it in some of my older guns without trouble.

The new "niceshot" product is also supposed to be OK with older guns, but its harder than bismuth or lead, but I've not used it.

If by an older double, you are talking about a pre WWII gun, or especially a pre WWI gun, I would have an expert gunsmith look at the whole issue before I used anything- some were pretty thin, and some used damascus barrels.

Posts: 10605 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is for a 60's Beretta silver hawk

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fixed chokes IM and F