Find
Notify
Tools

Touring the Italian Gunmakers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got back from SCI.

Spent some time talking with the Fausti folks. Very nice people. They planted the seed for what seems like a really cool side trip, should one find themselves on holiday in Italy: Visit the various fine gun makers.

Fausti is more than happy to host you to a tour and let you inspect their operation first hand.

Been thinking about a trip to Italy with my wife for some time. A side trip to Fausti, Rizzini, Beretta, Caesar Guerini, etc, would be really neat.

Have any of you done this?

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How much do the said side tours co$t?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It didn't come up in my conversations with the Fausti people and I didn't ask.

114-R10David

Posts: 1751 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think the tours are reasonable if there is a cost at all but the greater danger in my case would finding something I "had to " have in the factory that would beat up the budget.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I wonder if you could get a 'deal"?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got to visit the Beretta factory several times when I was stationed in Italy in the Army in the 1970s. I went with the base Rod & Gun Club manager when he was ordering guns for members, and I got fitted for a gun. The folks at Beretta were really nice and showed me lots of shotguns in their showroom that would cost several years of my 1LT salary. Before I came back to the US, I ended up with two over-under and two side-by-side shotguns. Beretta and a lot of other makers are in Gardone val Trompia, east of Milano. I had to get the guns registered in Italy, then on base, and then I got forms from the ATF to import them when I was transferred home. They cost a lot less than I would have paid here.

It is easy to rent a car in Italy and drive wherever you want to visit factories. You might get a better reception if you arranged in advance for a tour. I do not know what would be involved with importing a gun now. Maybe you could pick out what you want there and have it sent to their US importer. Italy is a fun country to visit. The people are friendly and the food is great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dale! Rome, Venice, Milan etc. are on my "list".
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well.....

I am not authorized to speak for any Italian gun maker, so I will not.

But...I will say that I have been told by more than one gun maker that, indeed, one can make a "deal", should one buy a gun at the factory in Italy.

The cost to buy a gun and have it shipped to your local FFL in the USA will be less than you will pay over-the-counter for the same or similiarly appointed gun already shipped from the factory to a dealer here in the USA.

I hear it is possible to go to the factory of choice, "try" several guns, shoot them on the local range, get fitted, and personally select the wood.

Not much different, really, than buying a custom suit in Thailand. Except you can take the suit home with you in your luggage.

And why should it be?

I need to do more research on this. All I know is what I've been told. But it all sounds interesting, what?

114-R10David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter:

There are some really nice places in northern Italy away from the big cities. I really like the Lake Garda area and Verona. I recommend spring or fall to avoid all the tourists. Venice is also nicer at night or during cooler weather, as the canals were not very clean. Venice was a nice place to take a girl for the evening - start at Harry's Bar at Piazza San Marco for a drink, walk through the old part of Venice to Trattoria Madona near the Rialto Bridge, and then walk back to the train station for the trip home (I lived in Vicenza).

Other places I enjoyed were the Dolomites (north of Vicenza), San Marino (the world's oldest Republic), and Trieste. I wanted to visit Yugoslavia but could not get clearance to go as it was a Communist country at that time. Venice, Florence, and Rome all have great museums. If I ever get back I want to see Pompei and also Bolzano (to see Otzi the Iceman). You should have a great trip.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dale. I agree about spring or fall. I will start planning. I thought my travel days were over, what with the grandson and everything, but time is getting short!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you go might I suggest the purchase of a book entitled, appropriately, "The Italian Gun" by Steve Smith and Laurie Morrow. More information than you want to know about Italian Gunmakers. Might make the tour a bit more fun.

And when you are done make sure you stop by Napoli and take a look at some of the wonderful men's clothing made there.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I did this with my dad about four years ago, and would love to do it again. We visited Fausti, Beretta, Pedersoli, Zoli, and SIACE. We went in at the time that the Italian EXA sporting and gun show in Brescia was held. We had an in to a couple of the factories through a friend, but got invites to others just by talking to the folks in the booths. The Italians are some of the most gracious people I have met, and we had a great time. As others have said, you can order a gun at some of the factories, get what you want, and have it imported into the U.S.A. for less than the cost to buy a comparable gun from a dealer/distributor here.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3819 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote