Tools

Browning B-80
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone familiar with this model?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 1852 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have looked at a few at gunshows pretty cheep. I heard they were made by Beretta but never have confirmed. I also see B80 barrels for sale much cheeper than other Browning barrels.
I understand they are gas opetated as the Browning Auto 5 is not

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of B80's and they are nice guns. I can't recall the exact Beretta designation(with a few modifications), but I think it was a 302.

The gun will have a 3" or 2 3/4" chamber. The 3" will not shoot light loads well. I have no problems with them, but have moved the B80 to the less used group of guns as newer Beretta's have come out with better gas systems.

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I bought mine about 15-20 years ago and have used it extensively as a knock about gun for wood pigeons and ducks (12 ga. 1/1 choke). It never missed a beat in thousands of rounds (same as with all my guns, I clean it after every shoot, though).
 -
BTW, it's all Beretta, except for the barrel markings.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
The B-80 was made by Beretta for Browning. It is essentially a "302-1/2."

Barrels, buttstocks, etc., on an alloy B-80 interchanges with a Beretta 303. Even the buttstock shims are the same.

The B-80 was offered in a steel receivered version also, the 303 was alloy only.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have an early B-80, an 2 3/4 version with 30" bar. It's about the most reliable auto I have ever come across. Never ever had a prob with it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
They are terrific guns, I've owned well over a dozen.

The 20 gauges specifically have ejection problems. The simple fix is to open a gas port in the barrel.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RandyWakeman:
They are terrific guns, I've owned well over a dozen.

The 20 gauges specifically have ejection problems. The simple fix is to open a gas port in the barrel.

That gas port problem is not uncommon with European shotguns shooting American ammunition. American pressure standards are a little lower than European, and the proportionally smaller European gas port may not allow enough gas to properly cycle the action with lower-pressure loads.

CONVERSELY, some American autos can cycle rather violently with Euro ammunition, due to the larger diameter gas port. I think it's fairly common to have the gas port on Rem 1100's reworked when used with non-American ammunition.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
CONVERSELY, some American autos can cycle rather violently with Euro ammunition, due to the larger diameter gas port. I think it's fairly common to have the gas port on Rem 1100's reworked when used with non-American ammunition.[/QB]

Problem is, it is far easier to drill metal out than to drill it in!

[ 03-22-2003, 03:30: Message edited by: RandyWakeman ]

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
I believe that the pressure values have been flipped around by an earlier poster. CIP Epreuve Superieure (magnum proof) pressures (1,200 bar) come to be about what some Walmart shotgun shells run.

one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Saloom:
I believe that the pressure values have been flipped around by an earlier poster. CIP Epreuve Superieure (magnum proof) pressures (1,200 bar) come to be about what some Walmart shotgun shells run.

NO WAY ! The SAMMI limit is 12,000 psi or so.

1200 BAR ????? That is a dangerous load- over 17,600 psi .................. off the road map.

one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
Oops. somewhere along the line my post got disjointed--kids at home. [Embarrassed]

The typical European proof pressures are from 800 bar-950 bar. With magnum proofs 1200 bar.

The Maximum mean service pressures are from 600-720 bar for the non magnum proofed guns. The 720 bar is likely lower than loads able to be purchased in the US.

The magnum proof loads are more than what is available at the local discounter.

This is not to say that the European guns will not handle loads above the pressures, just the CIP non magnum loads likely will not equal US pressures.