New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sporting Clays over under
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the market for a non- el cheapo over under for strictly sporting clays. I am looking at Krieg., and Zoli right now. I am not brand loyal but I am quality loyal. I live in Bum F Idaho so I do not have easy access to try these guns. Can anyone pass along how they selected barrel length on their SC over unders? I am thinking 30" or maybe 32". thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't have a zoli in a million years.......

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a big help.

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are many quality O/U Sporting guns on the market. There is also no reason to pay a premium for a name unless you wish to do so. A 30K shotgun will not help you break more targets than a 300$ shotgun

That being said, I would go to your local Bum F gunshop and handle as many different models as you can get your hands on. Shoot as many as you can get your hands on if they will let you there or at your local gun club. Balance and comfortable feel are what I look for.

I'm biased and shoot a Browning Auto. I have shot many O/U's from all makers. IMO you can't go wrong with the 625 Sporting with your preference of 30 or 32" barrels. It is quality and backed by the best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,

Going to drive to the big city and try to find some guns to try.

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rcamuglia:
There are many quality O/U Sporting guns on the market. There is also no reason to pay a premium for a name unless you wish to do so. A 30K shotgun will not help you break more targets than a 300$ shotgun

That being said, I would go to your local Bum F gunshop and handle as many different models as you can get your hands on. Shoot as many as you can get your hands on if they will let you there or at your local gun club. Balance and comfortable feel are what I look for.

Exactly what I did.

Granted, my budget did not include Kreighoffs. But I went to the shop and had the guy lay out every sporting o/u on the counter up to $4K. I mounted and swung them all and started putting guns back.

I ended up with a Winchester (FN) Select Energy Sporting with 30" barrels and adjustable comb. It fit me and balanced out better than every other gun on the counter.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
did you get a gun?

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not. I am going to use a 28" o/u for a couple years and see how it goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends on how big you are.
My wife is 5'5", she bought a O/U that has 32" barrels (plus extended chokes). It looks silly and wears her out (it's so big) but it certainly can't be stopped swinging. On me (6'1") it seems ok.
I think 30" in a sporting clays O/U is a nice compromise on fast handling vs. keeping it swinging.

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It's really important to break some targets with various guns. Sometimes what you think swings well in the shops and what you can break targets with can be quite different.

Before you make a big investment it would be worth making a run to a sporting clays event and hanging around the practice field. Very often people will let you break a few targets with their gun if you ask politely (and mention that you're shooting factory shells).

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to shoot sporting clays then why not go to a range? Most of these have pro shops where you can try out guns and perhaps even get fitted. If they don't at least talk to some of the guys there. They will be happy to show you their Krieghoffs, Perrazzis, golf carts, motorized choke changers etc.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote