New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berkshire SXS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just got a berkshire SXS from the old family estate. My father says it was my grand dads.
He passed away about WWII..
The shotgun only says "THE BERKSHIRE" serial #
37419 and some stampings under the forearm that look like they would be from the shop assembler or some thing.
Can anybody please tell me any information about this old SXS...Thanks sur5er

Posts: 210 | Location: Ncal | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't find that one in any of my reference material. Look at the bottom of the barrels in front of the flats for any proof marks, they can tell you where it was made in Europe and about when. If there are no proof marks it's possibly made in the US. If you can post clear pictures of any proof marks someone can probably help you with at least some information.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a "trade gun" or proprietary brand made by someone like the old H&D Folsom company. Literally hundreds of "brand" name SxS shotguns were produced by Folsom and a couple of other manufacturers and labeled with proprietary names for distributors and independent shops during the late 19th and early 20th century.

These guns were usually servicable, and some of them were produced in slightly higher grades (checkering, ribs, etc.) They usually don't bring a lot of money, but are wonderful family heirlooms.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote