Find
Notify
Tools

Boxlock / Sidelock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Real green on SxS shotguns. But need to learn
What is the difference in these 2 actions? And which is better?
Thanks Sur5er

Posts: 210 | Location: Ncal | Registered: 02 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Follow the link to a short version of an answer:

http://www.hallowellco.com/boxlock.htm

I don't necessarily agree with all of the opinions expressed but I'm not expert.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The sidelock looks nicer on a shotgun. I'm one of those who values looks. So sue me.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The downside of the sidelock is that the design can be hard on the wood as they are prone to split at the very thin sections. The do look nice, however. Perhaps the best of both worlds is the boxlock with dummy sideplates.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was interesting for this old retired shotgunner to read the posts here. In a lifetime of nearly 60 years of shooting shotguns I always liked the sidelock because -quite simply- it looked nice. (I think that like most of us I always looked at a firearm for its looks first) I'm glad to see that people more knowledgeable than me also value the looks of the sidelock. (Not mentioned in the thread is the fact that a sidelock also separates from a boxlock - by thousands of dollars. That always was my problem! "Champagne tastes -beer wallet") Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote