New
Find
Notify
Tools

Benneli Nova
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I'm looking for a reasonably priced pump gun for water fouling. The 3 1/2" 12 ga Nova looks like a decent gun for the $, wondering if anyhone here has one, and any pro's and con's of the gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the 24 inch camo version. I like it, handles reasonably well, and so far has functioned flawlessly, which includes being underwater up to the barrel end of the receiver quite often where I duck hunt, just pour it out and it keeps shooting.

Only real problem with it is that the plastic butt stock is an integral part of the receiver and makes shortening it an adventure. Or lengthening it, too, I suppose.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Funny you mention the plastic stock and shortening. I was considering getting one in 20 ga for my wife, but the stock is way too long for her, and I don't see a way to shorten it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul:

I've debated shortening mine, I don't think it is a major problem, the biggest obstacle is the fitted recoil pad. Mostly haven't done it because it is only marginally too long, but I am sure it would handle better for me a bit shorter. My thoughts would be to whack it off, very carefully, with a band saw, or by hand, smooth it up and fit 2 wooden plugs which would have to be epoxyed in place to hold the screws for a new recoil pad. If you had to shorten it quite a bit, you might not be able to get one of the bolt on recoil reducers to fit the bolt up arrangement that they have in the factory stock. I haven't seen one of the factory recoil reducers, so don't know how long they are.

<DuaneinND>
posted
The recoil reducer(factory) doesn't fit if you shorten the stock. I take a piece cut off from a wood stock grind it down to fit inside the plastic, epoxy it in place, and then I can screw a pad to the wood.
The only complaint I get about the Nova is that the recoil with 3.5" shells is not a pleasant experience.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked my Nova fine.....until it blew up on me.

What happened was that, while pumping in a shell, it fired prior to the bolt having closed all the way. The results to the plastic receiver was dramatic. Benelli said it was my fault for using faulty reloads......I dont think that there was anything wrong with my reloads but, it is possible.

In any event, after this episode I came to the conclusion that accidents can happen.....If they do, I want the strongest metal receiver to protect my arms/hands.

Otherwise....I was happy with the gun. Very practical for hunting as it could get as muddy as you wanted and you could just hose it clean. But I'm sticking to metal from now on.

Posts: 89 | Location: New Canaan,Ct., U.S. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
CGM: Usually the only way a shotgun will fire before returning to battery(locked up) is a broken or stuck firing pin, a faulty disconnector , or a primer that is not seated deep enough. Did you have someone inspect the shotgun before returning it to Benelli?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duane: We passed it around the skeet club where there is a group of old timers who are the resident "experts"! We couldnt see anything out of place. The firing pin was ok. The shell did not have a high primer, although that's the explanation Bennelli came up with. Maybe it was a faulty disconnector...who knows.

Whatever the cause...it scared the hell out of me. Thats why I now want sturdier receivers...just in case.

Posts: 89 | Location: New Canaan,Ct., U.S. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
<jzalesak>
posted
Paul H
I just bought one of these two weeks ago black with 26" bbl. So far it has been the best shooting pump gun i have ever had. Probably because it fits and sholders perfect for me every time. The only down fall i have found so far is my day of hunting ends too soon because i hit what i shoot and we only have a two pheasant limit. I took a Canada goose yesterday on the way to work with it using a 3" and the snap was alot more noticable than my Rem 870. I think i will be installing the recoil reducer before i go with the three and a halfs. Good luck with your choice.
JZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot an awful lot of different shotguns and shotshells over the years and I am cognizant of recoil levels but I honestly have not noticed the Nova seeming to have any more recoil, using the same shells, as my 3 1/2 inch 870 express. Of course, I don't dwell on it, if you pay attention, heavy loads do have significant kick in any gun, no doubt about it.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jzalesak:
Paul H
I just bought one of these two weeks ago black with 26" bbl. So far it has been the best shooting pump gun i have ever had. Probably because it fits and sholders perfect for me every time. The only down fall i have found so far is my day of hunting ends too soon because i hit what i shoot and we only have a two pheasant limit. I took a Canada goose yesterday on the way to work with it using a 3" and the snap was alot more noticable than my Rem 870. I think i will be installing the recoil reducer before i go with the three and a halfs. Good luck with your choice.
JZ

I also picked one up a couple of weeks ago, actually I think it's been a month, yet I've only had a chance to take it out once [Frown]

I got the black 28", wanted a 26" but they were out of stock, and I didn't want to pay the extra $ the other shop that had a 26" wanted. I'm quite impressed with the gun, you get alot of gun for the $. I also managed to dunk it, and found out how easy it was to strip and dry it out once I got home.