New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baffled.....Auto 5
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I have a Auto 5 last yr made 97 or 98 I think. Its the 12ga 3" model. I have the rings and brakes set up for 2 3/4 but Ill be damned if I can get anything to cycle reliably in it. Now I know that you can't shoot the real light stuff like all the chaepie 1oz dove and target loads, but the thing wont even go through some 1 1/4 oz heavy field 6's. I mean these are pheasant and duck type loads.....cycles 3" fine....

I'm what you call your basic famous.

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of those beasties with two fixed choke barrels, rather recent Japanese made, with the loner a 32". Came with spare rings but I haven't fired it yet. My intention is primarily some crude trap and maybe some heavier load blasting just for the heck of it. Will be interested in any comments on the problem.

Posts: 146 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 14 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have 1 steel ring next to the spring flat side down, bevel up and a brass ring between it and the barrel, with a steel, bevel up, brass, steel bevel down under the spring between the receiver and spring? If so and the shotgun still doesn't function there are a couple of other things to check.
#1. Clean the magazine tube with some bore cleaner and steel wool, wipe it off, oil with something like friction block, rem oil, or any of the "molecular binding" type oils, wipe off with a cotton rag leaving only a light film of oil. Polish the chamber with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a bore brush spun with an electic drill.
#2. Remove the butt stock, and the action spring and follower and clean- do not oil.
#3. A recoil operated shotgun such as the A5 needs an "opposing" force to operate against. If you allow the recoil to push you back too much the gun will not function.
If none of the above work, there is probably a "timing" problem, usually caused be a faulty shell latch or a defective barrel extension.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RandyWakeman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ok, I have a Auto 5 last yr made 97 or 98 I think. Its the 12ga 3" model. I have the rings and brakes set up for 2 3/4 but Ill be damned if I can get anything to cycle reliably in it. Now I know that you can't shoot the real light stuff like all the chaepie 1oz dove and target loads, but the thing wont even go through some 1 1/4 oz heavy field 6's. I mean these are pheasant and duck type loads.....cycles 3" fine....

Your A-5 Mag was built for one thing-- firing 3" loads all day. The owners manual I have remarks that 2-3/4 in. magnum shells work for the "light setting" (removal of one of the two friction pieces).

1-1/2 oz. 2-3/4 in. loads should cycle.

Posts: 375 | Location: Plainfield, IL | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one as well and to shoot 2 3/4" shells I had to reload special for this gun-24gr of Unique 1 1/8 oz loads and they function every time. Most of the store bought field loads even heavy loads will not function in it.

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
JR,

You might want to take a look at this site.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm

Good info and should be of some help.

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Paladin 56
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paladin 56:
JR,

You might want to take a look at this site.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/browning_A-5_running.htm

Good info and should be of some help.

Dang, I didn't realize you wrote this article Randy. You have some good stuff about shotgunning on your shotgun pages.

DRSS member

Do what you can with what you've got where you are. TR

Posts: 82 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 17 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy
Good write up on my favorite shotgun! I did print it up to keep as a reminder if I ever have troubles!! I have both a Sweet sixteen -my Dads gun and my Heavy 12 ga love them both! And your right they are very soft shooters-Can't believe I went 20 years shooting and beating myself up with a Moss 12 ga pump!!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote