New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ithaca shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a chance to buy a over and under 20 ga ithaca shotgun in very good shape, that was built in Japan. Are these shotguns worth the money? Also are the new 37's any good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the money. They are very good shotguns.

Posts: 19399 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The man wants $900 for the double. In very nice shape and has 3 inch chambers.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a new Ithaca Model 37 and absolutely love it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be one made by SKB. They were well made guns.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The SKB's (once labeled and imported by Ithaca) have their admirers, but to me the actions have always seems rather loose. Compared to the bank-vault closure of a Browning Superposed or even a Beretta, the SKB action feels like a barn door hinge. Due to their locking mechanism they are amply strong and I'm sure that the metallurgy is very good, but if one is accustomed to a tight-fitting O/U or S/S the SKB seems somewhat imprecise. However, I've only handled them and never owned or shot one, so my opinion is based on minimal experience.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I talked him down to $750 and bought it. Seems tight right now. I have two Citori's. Not superposed but tight. It is 20 ga with modified on top and improved cyl on the bottom. It is also like new.
I have a Ithaca defender (model 37) and I am very impressed with the function of that gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You made a good buy and will get many years of service from that gun.
Good luck

Michael J

Posts: 485 | Location: Lakewood Colorado | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael J, I will be shooting it at clay to check it out next week. Several big dove hunts coming up in South Texas in the fall. Will wring it out then.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it the Model 500? If it is, the same gun in 12 ga was my first O/U. Bought it new in the '70s, sold it thousands of rounds much later.

Mine said something like "handcrafted for Ithaca by SKB". I even still have the advertising brochure for the year I bought it. It was the same year Ithaca came out with the Mag 10. And Ithaca still had Perazzi shotguns, and the 5E single trap model, and BSA and LSA rifles listed in the catalog then.

Mine was tight enough, but not as tight as my Brownings, as was said earlier.

There were only a couple things to not like about it - although these shouldn't affect you. It had this hard chopping kick that was real unpleasant, even with dove loads. Heavy duck loads would leave your fingers feeling like they were broken and would be black and blue for days. From hitting the trigger guard. The fault was not my hold. I suspect it was the weight plus the way it was distributed plus no recoil pad.

It also eventually got where it didn't want to open. But I sold it before getting around to having a smith look into that. It might not have been the gun's fault. I never knew.

Generally speaking I say it's a fine gun. I certainly put a lot of feathered game on the table with it over almost 20 years.

I also bought out of that same catalog a Model 37 in the Supreme Skeet configuration. I should have kept it. I've never seen one of those since anywhere. Must be a rarity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a model 500. I just liked it and it will share duty with my two brownings, and my model 12. So it probably will not get worn out. I also have a Remington 1100 that I have had for 45 years and just got a new 26 inch barrel for so I will use that too. Got to damn many shotguns but I don't care - ha!

posted Hide Post
I still have my model 500 SKB, and its never given a moment's problem in .... um .... thirty some years.

God I'm getting old, but the gun's doing fine.

Greg

Posts: 15 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 23 July 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took the model 500 20 gage to the skeet range today along with my citori 20 gage. The 500 is a sweet shooting shotgun. Very impressed. Functioned perfectly. Lighter than the browning, and I hope it is trouble free for many years, as it is going south to Beeville texas to shoot doves for a few days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
great shotguns,still looking for a m37 16 gauge barrel,for an old style receiver.any help out there?
bearden

Posts: 34 | Location: Mellen,Wi. USA | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote