New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can someone tell me what type of Remington SxS i have? The shotgun is a hammer SxS but i cannot tell if it has steel barrels,Also the top lever is one that you push up then push to the side.The owner me that it was what they call a lifer shotgun.Can anyone help me?You can e-mail at fourbore@comcast.net. Thank

Posts: 52 | Location: newcastle delaware | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you mean about the top lever by "push up then push to the side", but you probably have a model 1889. The hammers on the old SxS's are a decent way to tell the models apart. See if yours look like the ones below.

There were quite a few made. Some were steel and some were damascus barrels from what I understand.

I have one that's been in my family forever that Briley worked over to make safe shooter. I wanted it left UGLY as I saw it as a kid so don't blame them for that:

It shoots pretty well. It turns out in this case that this gun had steel barrels and was safe to shoot with just a serious action rejoining (tightening) job. Call Briley and see if they can help you.

A word of caution, I rebuilt mine because it was a family heirloom and I've REALLY wanted to hunt with it for the past 20 years. These typically aren't valuable guns. The rebuild in my case cost about 2 to 3 times the value of the gun. But with the history of it in my family and getting to hunt where it hunted years ago... was well worth it for me.

Take care,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote