New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steel shot in a 28ga
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Belgian S'posed in 28ga, a very nice gun. Recently I had someone donat a case of 28 ga #6's. Problem is, they are steel. He claims the engineers at Federal tell him it is OK to shoot in any shotgun as "they have a very heavy shot wad that contains the whole shot column and protects the barrel". I am quite skeptical. I am not a fan of steel shot. What say you?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,what chokes does the gun have? I would burn them thru my 870 on ducks but not sure about your Browning.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think you would be making a BIG mistake to shoot factory steel loads through your 28 gauge superposed - especially through any choke modified or tighter. I have two older 12s that I handloaded relatively light steel loads for for several years to use on ducks and geese. That was when bismuth shot became almost impossible to get. I had no problems with my handloads, but used less than 1/2 box of hot factory loads (think they were 2 3/3 inch Federals) one morning and ringed the tighter barrel on one of my 12s. I would not even think of using steel through my 20 gauge Superposed and that used to be my favorite duck gun before steel shot.

Emory

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was what I was thinking also; too valuable a gun to shoot steel through.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only 28ga SGN I have used is a barrel for my Blaser R93.

I have taken a bunch of game, including turkey with Winchester No6 high brass.

When I wanted to shoot some ducks I got some Bismuth shot. It worked great.

I would not shoot steel shot in your Belgian if it was mine...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an excuse to buy a new shotgun. My understanding is that Browning does not recommend steel in any of their older Belgian guns. What I did for my son with his older A5 was to buy a new Japanese bbl. that was ok'ed for steel. That is probably not doable (or at least affordable) with your Superposed.
C.G.B.

one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Jim, I would not under any circumstances shoot steel through my Red Label much less a Superposed. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not shoot steel shot out of a vintage Browning O/U in any gauge let along 28. There are plenty of 28 ga guns to be had to shoot steel if you must. One of the little Semi Autos come to mind. For Steel I shoot a vinci, I'm not married to it. I sure would not shoot steel out of a valuable shotgun like your 28!!

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
No, don't do it. The choke constriction on Belgium brownings are usually very tight. I don't think it wise to shoot steel through it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could sell that 28 to me, I have plenty of lead 28 shells.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2635 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote