New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 gauge sabot slug reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone reload 2 3/4" or 3" 12 ga. sabot slugs. Just bought new slug gun with rifled bbl. If not any suggestions on factory sabots. Thanks.

Posts: 94 | Location: Otisville, MI USA | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fetch, I use the Federal Barnes combo in my Browning A-Bolts and Benelli with good results.

I tried to load those Lee drive key slugs with no luck. I seen a ad somewheres for a new sabot type slug for reloading that looked a little more promising, but can't recall where I seen it.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The lee key drive slug will shoot on average 7" 5 shot groups at 100 yards for me out of a mossberg 500 cantilever scoped gun.What hurts the average of the groups is a flyer, some times as much as 18" out of the group, this does not happen with factory sabots. Factory sabots, Fed or win. 2 3/4" sabots shoot about 3 1/2 to 4 " for me.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have bought both the Lyman and Lee slug moulds that are calle "Sabots", since both utilize a standard plastic birdshot wad like the WAA12. The slugs will be cast undersized to allow for the thickness of the shot sleeve on these wads. I have not done what you would call extensive testing with both slugs but I have used several different powder charges with the WAA12's and have even built the wad columns by using different components like over powder seals, card board spacers and filler spacers to compensate for the height and used the "shot cup" from the WAA12 by cutting it off the wad with a razor, I have even reduced the lenght of the cups "side pedals" to the point that they would only touch the widest points of the slug to facilitate the engaging of the rifling. I have chronographed the loads to determine the velocities until a wad from a factory sabot hit my chronoraph and sent it to the repair shot ($25.00) in parts). And as a results of this testing they are not accurate in my book. I will give it one more chance by downloading the velocity to see if the accuracy improves. If that doesn't work I will be selling the moulds,

The intersting thing is factory loaded sabots are extremely accurate out of my 870 which has a mossberg 24" full rifled barrel, at 50 yards and benched it will shoot 5 slugs all touching. I have retrieved the spent wads of the factory sabots and the WAA12's used in the Lee and Lyman cast slugs and all show rifling engagement with no "shearing" meaning they all should be spinning when they leave the barrel. The Lee slugs' wads definitely show that the patented "key" is fully engaged and you can see the torqued being exerted but they and the lyman do not come near the accuracy of the factory sabots. If anyone is interested I will post pictures of the slugs and the wads. [Confused]

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote