New
Find
Notify
Tools

slugs from double barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if you can shoot a slug from a side-by-side shotgun? The chamber is a 3inch.I would like to use it for Deer hunting next year.So can i do it?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 12ga.slugs thru improved choke & modified choke barrels only .....was allways told NOT to shoot slugs thru a barrel that was full choke or one that had screw in chokes...hope this helps & good luck tu2
ask this on the gunsmith section also,those guys know it all..

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,
A friend of mine tried it and found out that his shotgun was cross eyed past 30-35yds. It completely missed the target at 100yds.
He aborted the project. I believe it was a Savage 311.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As long as your chokes are not too tight you can shoot slugs through your gun.

I have shot them through a Browning Citori and a 60 year old Savage 311 20ga cut down to 18.5".

I was suprised how well they shot out to 35/40 yards.

The best plan is to try several different brands of slugs and see which shoots best in your SXS.

With any shotgun in bear country I only use Brennekes, as accuracy does not matter at the distances of a bear attack.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since buckshot is legal in your area, you may want to try the Dixie Slugs company 12 gauge Tri-Ball 3" Buckshot Round.
This round fires three .60" 315 grain buckshot pellets at 1100 fps. Patterns from a modified choke run about 5 inches at 40 yards and full chokes 3 - 4 inches at the same distance.

If my experience with this round holds true, your double will center the three pellet pattern to the same place it shoots heavy turkey loads.

Delaware Huntng Regulations:

"Deer: ...Shotgun no smaller than 20 gauge using rifle slug, pumpkin ball or buckshot and must be plugged to hold only 3 shells (in chamber and magazine combined). It is unlawful to carry buckshot, rifle slug or pumpkin ball except while hunting for deer, and conversely, it is also unlawful to carry shot smaller than buckshot while deer hunting.

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the shot is under,say,100 feet, a DB that is open choked (IC or MOD)should do OK -but in the case of a 3" chamber - I ain't so sure even about that. (My experience was with 2 3/4" chambers) Otherwise I am totally with blackbearhunter.(He and I must have gone to the same school!) Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I have fired numerous 20ga 3" slugs and Buckshot over the past 40 years through my Eibar SXS (Blumfield Volunteer import ) .

The chokes are IC (slugs) and M (Buck),

The accuracy ( esp. withe old bore-riding rifled- vane type) off only the single front bead has been great out to 75 yds and has led to the demise of several hogs and deer.

Growing up, our farm stretch across county lines-- to the north rifles were legal,

to the south it was shotguns only-- where the little twenty earned its pay .

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I have shot gualndi slugs through cilinder and 3/4 chokes.
Their 32 grams slug can be shot through any choke and it is offered by many brands like Rottweill and some USA maker that I can not remember right now. It is indeed a 20ga slug with 12ga belts.
http://www.gualandi.it/

Do not use Magnum ammo as it have to be used on cilynder barrels only.
Anothe opton is to use a round ball centered by a donut wad or a wad like described in another forum:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com...=0&page=0#Post152129

Hope this helps.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Modern slugs are designed to be shot out of standard production shotguns unless specified otherwise. This includes double barrels, but accuracy and point of impact is an individual thing. You'll have to shoot some at targets to find out how and where they shoot. Good luck.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Double, rifle or shotgun, are designed to "converge" at a certain point. Just gotta know where that point is located.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lefever double mod and full chokes it well put both barrels shooting slugs on a 8x11 paper at 50 yards. I have done so several times. I haven't tried it out farther.

I have no dought that at 50 and under I could very well kill deer with it.

One could mount a set of sights on it then only sight one barrel in. Use that barrel only for farther shots.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter:

Your experience simply proves,as the old expression has it, that the exception proves the rule. (If I were you and the Lefevre has a splinter fore end I would be very careful about continuing to defy experience)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter

I really want to follow up about your Lefevre. I'm 80 years old and was shooting a Lefevre back in the mid '40s. Even then I knew it was old -and while not a Damascus barrel, nonetheless was not capable of handling what we called "high base" loads in those days. (We meant 3 3/4 12 ga.loads) I beg you to be very careful,yes, I know the shotgun is a great piece - I stopped using it even with upland loads on grouse because I was fearful of how thin those barrels were. Hang it up and admire it is my sincere advice. Regards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey all,

I'll second the vote for the " Dixie Slugs ".

Three .600"- 315 gr Tri-Balls (945 grains).

" We have many shooters using standared full choke tubes getting patterns around 10" at a true 40 yards......still better than buckshot. On the other hand, we have shooters making up dedicated Tri-Ball guns with shorter barrels, Tru-Glo sights, and chokes down to .660" constriction. We do advise not to use any tighter chokes than .660" and all choke tubes, and fixed chokes, should have a high polish inside. With all this in mind, the hunter can chose what he wants as far as patterns, from around 10" down to 6".
So to answer the posters question.....any choke between .660" and .690" works very good. "
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...pic.php?f=77&t=72353

PAPI
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also consider " Handloading "

Handloading Components
http://www.ballisticproducts.c...o.asp?number=0721612

Or as Loaded Ammo from " Stars & Stripes "
http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/index2.html

http://www.starsandstripesammo.com/photos.html

PAPI
fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Big Will,

You might also consider " Polishing " your Barrels.. It can't hurt & it's very easy to do !!

I polished both of my 12 gauge Shotguns (Rem 870 / Beretta Semi-Auto) in my garage , using a Electric Power, Hand Drill.

My " Rem 870, 12 Gauge Cylinder Choke Barrel " was polished & dry tested, so that the " Dixie Slugs " in the photo, would drop from the " Chamber " & slide down the barrel, out the " Muzzle ", without any restrictions.

Dixie Terminator: Hard Cast " BULLET "; .730 dia. ; 730 grain ; 1200 fps
Dixie Tusker: Hard Cast " BULLET "; .727 dia. ; 600 grain ; 1550 fps
The last " Slug " is a Winchester 2 3/4 1 oz.(Hollow point, Soft Lead).

FLEX-HONE
http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=6

PAPI
fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another " FYI " source for reloading your own " 12 Gauge SLUGS ".

http://www.reloadersauction.co...100176&parent_id=355

PAPI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My factory Ugarthechea slug gun is lightly choked at .003" a side. It throws pairs of Brenneke 1 oz MP's inside 2 1/2" at 50 meters. Anything else looks like patterns.

Posts: 1574 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Boxhead,

How about showing us a closeup of your sights? Were these aftermarket add-ons or factory sights?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2146 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote