New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka O/U
 Login/Join

<ChuckD>
posted
I am looking to buy a new shotgun to use in sporting clays games at the local club. Years ago I hunted upland birds with fair success--And then sold my 1100 15 years ago. I have begun shooting shotgun with my daughter, and have found that I enjoy these games. I really should not be spending over $500. on myself, as I am spending a lot on my 14 y/o daughter in her YHEC competition. I have a Savage Fox, which I shoot pretty well--its a short barrel 20 with IC chokes. However, it is again in the shop. This gun works for me because (I think) there is a lot of drop in the stock. I am a bit tall, with a long neck and arms. Most shotguns of more modern vintage have my eyes above the rib a fair amount. I recently looked at a new Tikka o/u 12 gauge, and found that it had enough drop--similiar to my Fox. It is over the budget, at $999.00, but is quite nice. Has anyone experience with these? Should I look at something Else? Gatergo, you can chime in here...Thanks, Chuck

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Strong, reliable and well made. Not elegant, compared to European classics but then, they cost only a fraction of the latter's price.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your budget gets moved up to 1K mark that will open up a lot of great possibilities, I have seen quite a few Citoris in the 700 to 1000, also the ruger red labels and several other medium grades, do a search at
www.gunbroker.com or
www.gunsamerica.com or
www.auctionarms.com.
I recently picked up a 20 gauge citori at gunbroker for about 1/2 what a new one goes for and the only difference between this one and my beloved 12 which I bought new is a couple of small scratches, and I have only hunted the 12 once and have babied it fot the 7 years I have owned it. The better grade guns will hold their value as long as you don't modify it from standard. good luck.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<ChuckD>
posted
Thanks for the replies, guys. Andre, this gun had excellent wood, and fit and finish were very good--Beretta good. Raamw, yes, I am aware of the possibilities in this price range, but I still have the fit issues. I have shot several rounds of sporting clays with a friends Ruger Red label, but do to the fit issue I have to sight about 8" below the bird to score a hit. I've not had the opportunity to shoot the Citori or the 686's. Anyway, I am still open to input here, especially from owners of the Tikkas. Thanks, Chuck