The Accurate Reloading Forums
Tikka O/U

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4511043/m/22110196

23 September 2002, 09:10
<ChuckD>
Tikka O/U
I am looking to buy a new shotgun to use in sporting clays games at the local club. Years ago I hunted upland birds with fair success--And then sold my 1100 15 years ago. I have begun shooting shotgun with my daughter, and have found that I enjoy these games. I really should not be spending over $500. on myself, as I am spending a lot on my 14 y/o daughter in her YHEC competition. I have a Savage Fox, which I shoot pretty well--its a short barrel 20 with IC chokes. However, it is again in the shop. This gun works for me because (I think) there is a lot of drop in the stock. I am a bit tall, with a long neck and arms. Most shotguns of more modern vintage have my eyes above the rib a fair amount. I recently looked at a new Tikka o/u 12 gauge, and found that it had enough drop--similiar to my Fox. It is over the budget, at $999.00, but is quite nice. Has anyone experience with these? Should I look at something Else? Gatergo, you can chime in here...Thanks, Chuck
22 September 2002, 22:33
Andre Mertens
Strong, reliable and well made. Not elegant, compared to European classics but then, they cost only a fraction of the latter's price.
23 September 2002, 10:32
raamw
If your budget gets moved up to 1K mark that will open up a lot of great possibilities, I have seen quite a few Citoris in the 700 to 1000, also the ruger red labels and several other medium grades, do a search at
www.gunbroker.com or
www.gunsamerica.com or
www.auctionarms.com.
I recently picked up a 20 gauge citori at gunbroker for about 1/2 what a new one goes for and the only difference between this one and my beloved 12 which I bought new is a couple of small scratches, and I have only hunted the 12 once and have babied it fot the 7 years I have owned it. The better grade guns will hold their value as long as you don't modify it from standard. good luck.
23 September 2002, 22:17
<ChuckD>
Thanks for the replies, guys. Andre, this gun had excellent wood, and fit and finish were very good--Beretta good. Raamw, yes, I am aware of the possibilities in this price range, but I still have the fit issues. I have shot several rounds of sporting clays with a friends Ruger Red label, but do to the fit issue I have to sight about 8" below the bird to score a hit. I've not had the opportunity to shoot the Citori or the 686's. Anyway, I am still open to input here, especially from owners of the Tikkas. Thanks, Chuck