Find
Notify
Tools

Shotguns
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

I've been considering a new shotgun lately.

My desire is for a 16 gauge. I started with a 16 pump and moved to a 12 O/U later in life. I still have a soft spot for the 16! But alas, I'm
getting too old to carry a heavy gun all day and
want to go as light as practical and still get something I want.

I've come across a few that I'm considering. Here they are, and I'd welcome opinions and remarks. This is NOT the political forum, so let's keep it civil, please!

1. [url=http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129343515]

2.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129401018

3.http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=129401018

I like the Browning 16 at 6.5 lbs.. The Rizzini is the nicest and weighs 6.3 lbs. The Franchi is not quite as nice as the Rizzini, but only weighs 5.8 lbs.

Of course the Franchi and Rizzini are 20 gauge, but is there that much diffeence between 16 and 20?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Google up Wm. Larkin Moore company in Arizona. They sell B. Rizzini O/U in 16ga. I own an Arum Light EL, english stock, alloy receiver, single trigger, vent rib, fixed chokes in 16ga that weighs 6# even. I love it for ruffed grouse.

Also try Bill Hanus birdguns on the net.

16ga.com has lots of members with gentlemanly replies.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
Google up Wm. Larkin Moore company in Arizona. They sell B. Rizzini O/U in 16ga. I own an Arum Light EL, english stock, alloy receiver, single trigger, vent rib, fixed chokes in 16ga that weighs 6# even. I love it for ruffed grouse.

Also try Bill Hanus birdguns on the net.

16ga.com has lots of members with gentlemanly replies.

Sounds like a reasonable idea, Dave. My Antonio Zoli 12 gauge was imported by Wm. Larkin Moore.

Just tried Wm. Larkin Moore. The B. Rizzini 16 is made on the 12 gauge receiver and weighs the same as their 12 gauge at 6.75 lbs.

I also tried the Cortona which I believe is now made by Fausti who bought the Emilio Rizzini line.

The Rizzini at Gunbrker is listed as a B. Rizzini, but since it is really a Sigarms, it should have been made by F.A.I.R. or I. Rizzini?

Rizzini shotguns can be a little confusing since there are 4 different companies by that name...brothers all. And each has a different quality level in this order.

F. Rizzini
B. Rizzini
I. Rizzini
E. Rizzini

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don,

I understand your affinity for the 16 gauge. It was the "gentleman's" small gauge back when the 10 gauge was considered a "standard" gauge and the 12 gauge was everyman's gun.

But the 20 gauge will do everything and more that yesterday's 16 gauge would do, and it will do it on a much more slender and "gentlemanly" frame. As you've found, almost all 16's are now on a 12 gauge frame, so what's the point?

Personally, I like the O/U frames like Berettas without the locking parts underneath. These are even more slender and tend to weigh less. However, even the underlockers are slender and light in a 20. You're not going to do waterfowl with a light 16, so if upland game is your quarry anyway, go with the 20 gauge.

Warning: You will want to take my advice with a slight grain of salt as I have all but abandoned the 20 gauge to shoot 28's almost exclusively. Smiler

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Don,

I understand your affinity for the 16 gauge. It was the "gentleman's" small gauge back when the 10 gauge was considered a "standard" gauge and the 12 gauge was everyman's gun.

But the 20 gauge will do everything and more that yesterday's 16 gauge would do, and it will do it on a much more slender and "gentlemanly" frame. As you've found, almost all 16's are now on a 12 gauge frame, so what's the point?

Personally, I like the O/U frames like Berettas without the locking parts underneath. These are even more slender and tend to weigh less. However, even the underlockers are slender and light in a 20. You're not going to do waterfowl with a light 16, so if upland game is your quarry anyway, go with the 20 gauge.

Warning: You will want to take my advice with a slight grain of salt as I have all but abandoned the 20 gauge to shoot 28's almost exclusively. Smiler

Thanks, Stonecreek. wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a thread on 16ga.com where it was stated that Wm. Larkin Moore has recently received some B. Rizzini's built on a true scaled 16 frame. I didn't bother looking as I've got what I want. You might have to phone them for the current details.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
There was a thread on 16ga.com where it was stated that Wm. Larkin Moore has recently received some B. Rizzini's built on a true scaled 16 frame. I didn't bother looking as I've got what I want. You might have to phone them for the current details.

OK, Thanks, Dave. thumb It's worth a try. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
20 gauge S X S English stock. That's a light field gun. Over/Under and pumps tend to be heavier. 20 gauge shoots the same size pattern as a 12 or 16, just less shot. If you're good, you don't need the extra shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wm.S.Ladd:
20 gauge S X S English stock. That's a light field gun. Over/Under and pumps tend to be heavier. 20 gauge shoots the same size pattern as a 12 or 16, just less shot. If you're good, you don't need the extra shot.

I used to just hit them with a rock in mid air
when I was younger. Need all the help I can get now! More shot = more help?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my 16ga. Model 12 (my Winchester book says it was made in 1954). Not that heavy and from what I've read, it's on a "decidated" action.

I took it to Africa, where the PH had no trouble finding ammo, unlike for my friends 20ga.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don Slater:

You don't say what the 16 would be used for. I grew up using a 16 on pheasants and ruffed grouse. I would hesitate to use it on ducks in a blind (although I used it on green wing teal and mallards in jump shooting along a brook and it worked -except when I missed)Smiler -and, certainly, the 16 is not suitable for geese. (The normal range for shooting geese is just a little bit too much for the 16) When I was very young, the 20 gauge was a "lady's gun". The advertising marketers had the 20 beefed up by increased powder and lead loads (and, above all, increased chamber length) so as to bring it up to the 16. Then the marketers drove the 16 (whose chamber length was not increased) off the market - those who know the 16 know that it patterns just as evenly as the 20. If you like the 16 stay with it. (As the old expression has it - If it ain't broke, don't fix it)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice all. I bought a Rizzini 16 gauge O/U yesterday. dancing

I almost bought a Browning Citori Feather in 16 gauge but found this site just in time. Is the Browning 16 gauge Feather a lemon? bewildered

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3918

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don:

Being a "cranky" old man myself, why couldn't you have gotten a double instead of an O/U? (Sorry, just a lifelong prejudice against the O/U) BTW, your story about walking through town with a shotgun and only being asked by a police officer what you planned to hunt struck a real chord of memory for me. I received a carrying permit for a pistol when I was two days past my 18th birthday. (Legal in those days in NY, now it's 21)I was at a stop (while still 18) on a route along the Hudson river in a long line of cars because the State troopers were conducting a "license check".(an excuse used for every reason beginning with the fact that they were really looking for a bad guy)A trooper got back to me, I brought out my wallet and showed the license and also,as requested, went to the glove compartment and produced the registration. The trooper smiled at me -and then said,"Better put that away" -gesturing to my S&W K-22 lying on the seat alongside me which I had completely forgotten about. I immediately told him I had a permit and went to take out my wallet again. He said"That's OK. I saw it". (He meant he saw the distinctive pale green color of the permit paper which was alongside my driver's license as I opened my wallet) How many officers today in a very tough state to get a carrying permit for a pistol (even then)would be so casual? And the police officers are certainly not to be blamed for being much more careful nowadays. Times have changed since you and I were seeing dinosaurs! Smiler

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote