Tools

ntxt
 Login/Join

<G.Hansen>
posted
ntxt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A phone call to Briley's in Houston can confirm. But the answer is probably yes, his thin wall tubes can be installed in a superposed 20. He also makes sub gage tubes in 28 gauge (and .410) if that is what you want.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've owned a few 28 ga Superposeds and in my opinion, you'd be better off with a 20 ga. Look for a round knob/long tang gun from the 50's or early 1960's. I much prefer the 28" models. Briley's has installed a few sets of thinwall choketubes in Superposeds for me. I've always found their work to be top notch. If you can find an IC/Mod gun though, I wouldn't consider putting tubes in it...use it as is and you'll be just fine (and dollars ahead). Good luck to you.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a really nice 20 ga S'posed at a local gunshop on consignment. RkLT and choked Mod and Mod (I think if I remember) and is factory stamped. Nice gun but the owner is wanting too much, asking $2400. I have a 28 that I don't use anymore but, what the hell?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5502 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've developed a huge prejudice in favor of the 28 ga over the years. I find that I can do as well or better on doves with it as I can with any larger gauge. Of course, both the gun and the ammunition are going to be more costly compared to a 20 gauge, but then you asked about buying a Superposed and not a Mossberg, so the difference in cost should be pretty nominal to you.

If I had a chance at a nice Superposed 28 at an attractive price, I'd certainly jump on it, but one drawback with the Superposed is that, I believe, it is built on a 20-gauge frame. That partially negates the charm of the little 28. The same is true but to even a greater extent when you put tubes into a larger gauge in order to make it into a 28. Tubes are fine for skeet shooting, but they make for a heavier and less lively gun in the field.

The bottom line is that either gauge would be great, so it largely depends on what you can find available to you.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Why do they want things they have absolutely no interest in?)

It ain't got to do with the things...

I would go for the 20ga. Nothing you can't do with it, including the 28ga tubes. No, it won't swing quite as well as a scaled receiver but it should be doable. I have found that I am as effective with a 1oz load at about 1250 in my 20 gauge as anything I have shot with a 12.

So, I'd go 20ga...

Let's see some pics when you decide!