New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta BL-3 O/U
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just acquired a like-new Beretta BL-3 over/under in 28 gauge from an estate. I'm ecstatic over my find, but want to ask of your collective knowledge about some apparent discrepancies in the "Blue Book".

The BL-3 is listed only in 12 and 20 gauge, not 28. The BL-3 is also listed as having ejectors, while my gun has extractors. My gun has a very low serial number, "N002XX" -- does anyone have a reference to tell me the year of manufacture? Thanks!

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<zasgar>
posted
As I allready described in an other post in the shotgun section, the manufacturing date is in the proofmark. Just give me the 2 letters in the square or the set of roman numerals and I will try to figure out the year. The Italians have been using the date codes since 1948.
On my Beretta the datemark is under the chambers.

MK

<zasgar>
posted
Looks like I was stuck on full auto...

[ 08-28-2002, 05:50: Message edited by: zasgar ]

<zasgar>
posted
snip

[ 08-28-2002, 05:53: Message edited by: zasgar ]

<zasgar>
posted
snip

[ 08-28-2002, 05:55: Message edited by: zasgar ]

<zasgar>
posted
snip

[ 08-28-2002, 06:03: Message edited by: zasgar ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zasgar: I just saw your post on proofmarks. I also found a Beretta proofmark key in the reference section of the "Blue Book". Thanks, I'll look it up when I have time.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zasgar: Mine has Roman Numerals XXVI, which indicates 1970 according to my source. Is this correct? This would be consistent with the dates of manufacture listed in the "Blue Book".

<zasgar>
posted
Yes, XXVI should be 1970. Is the Gun nice ?? post some pictures.

MK

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, very nice. Decent, but not overly fancy grain in the buttstock, gracefully slender forearm, and a modicum of engraving on the receiver. Overall, it is somewhat lighter and slenderer than my Win 101 28 gauge (which has 28" barrels). The rib is also narrower than the 101. I like the ability to move the barrel selector in either on-safe or off-safe position, a capability my other O/U's only have in on-safe. It was a bit confusing to move the selector to the left for firing the under barrel first, in that all of my other O/U's are the opposite.

I used it this weekend to bring home a daily limit of doves (15) on both Sunday and Monday. I don't think I shot it quite as well as I have the 101, but for a gun with which I was totally unaccustomed, I was very pleased with its performance (and mine, I suppose). It is choked IC/MOD but seems to throw a rather tight pattern from either barrel. I used a standard 3/4 oz skeet load of #9's, some factory and some reloaded to the same specs. These are fully adequate for our mourning doves, and even whitewings for that matter.

[ 09-03-2002, 20:31: Message edited by: Stonecreek ]